Bed solar covers

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by Junttan444, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Junttan444

Junttan444 New Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Long Island New York
    Bed pullouts Solar covers do they work? who uses them? Did you buy yours or DIY them?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    They work. I bought a solar tarp from Amazon that I use mainly for cold weather camping and in addition to reflectix and other insulating tactics it works very well. Can't speak for how well the solar tarp works alone in the camper, but I used it on my tent once when it got very very cold and it helped greatly there. When I manage to save up enough pennies I want to buy the real popup gizmos. The high wind kind to prevent clips from coming off in the wind. If you do cold weather camping every little bit helps.

3. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    Hi, i have used popup gizmos on my hybrid with reflectix in screens. Worked awesome in frigid weather with 1500 watt heater going and furnace off. In summer pups or hybrids with AC you can not sit in the bunkends or sleep during the sun either first in the morning or directly overhead based on your site. You have to cover the bunk ends with something similar or make your own. i have super high winds for all three tents on my boondock pup.

4. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Thousand Oaks CA
    I've had Gizmos on both of my trailers. Where I camp, it's more about heat deflection than retention, and they work very well.
    At Grand Canyon two years ago, they helped with heat retention, with overnight temps in the high 20's.
    They also help with interior condensation when beach camping in cool temps. I won't camp without them, they help moderate temps in a wide variety of conditions.

5. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    Gizmos are very much worth the money. We used them for 4 years on our HTT and they made a significant difference. Combine them with Reflectix inserts in the screens and it is even better. Not only do the do a great job of insulating but the also keep it darker so you can sleep longer

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    When i got my 2008 model I thought about going with the GIZMOS but boy were they some what expensive.

Then I noticed the built-in rain gutter on both ends of my POPUP roof line and that would be perfect to lay a 9X12 tarp into the gutter and hold it in place with stretch rope. So I went with 9X12 tarps on both tent ends... Granted they are not as pretty as a GIZMOS is but all I have to please is Momabear.

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

A cheap WALMART Tarp will hold up for two or three seasons and you have the option of having a silver type color to put on the top or flip it over for BLACK-GRAY-BLUE-TAN... The silver color reflects the hot Sun pretty good... The tarp also comes down over the window flaps so you can leave the inside flaps open and can always get a good draft going in the summer and not worry about rain storms...

Still doing this now... It don't look all that bad huh?

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Just takes a five minutes to setup and using stretch cord ropes to tuck in everything... My original 2008 Bunk-Ends fabric still looks like brand new hehe... The 9X12 tarps are pretty inexpensive from WALMART or our local ACE Hardware Store here in King George. They always have a special price going for tarps. When I replace these then the used tarp becomes a cover for my wood pile here at the house... Since these tarps are a full cover for the POPUP Roof it really cuts down on the Bunk ends being so bright during the day too...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    that is a lot of work in setting up? I just leave gizmo cover on top and slide in the bunkend. the interior gizmo works great, I also leave em in the bunkend without any issues. I don't use the interior during spring summer and fall. South California coastal have wonderful weather.

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I guess you was referring to me... Only takes about 5-minutes or so for each end to setup... Been doing this since 2009 and maybe have only spent money for new tarps three or four times haha... Everything stores good in my front deck when I going to travel mode.

Roy Ken

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We had PUGs on both of our popups, and I would not camp in one, hot or cold weather, without them. In addition to heat control,they also protected the vinyl bunk roofs from UV, bird poo, sap, and what-have-you.
    We had the Velcro strips on the second popup PUGs, which held them in place while we folded the bunks in. We had the super-high-wind version, and did a ring mod to make clipping them under the bunks much easier.
    When we bought the second pup, I had a chance to literally make a side-by-side comparison between having PUGs on the old, tiny, vinyl pup and not having them on the 8' one with Sunbrella (breathable) canvas. The heat difference between the two as I moved supplies to the new one was marked.
    We camped close to 100* in the pups (without power, so only a 12v fan) and into the teens. They helped in each case.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I have pugs and reflectix on mine. Makes a huge difference. I can keep the AC running in direct Texas summer sun and it won't get warmer than 75 or so. In shade it will drop to 68-70.

I have the Velcro on mine and added rings and hooks to my boss so setup is pretty easy now. Highly recommended.

11. Steven Harris

Steven Harris New Member

Oct 3, 2018
    Newnan, Georgia U.S.A.
    Newbie here with 2008 Rockwood pup, so this may seem like a question any fool can answer, but if these pugs help in heat and cold temps, do you put them on with reflective side out in hot conditions, and reflective side towards the camper in colder weather? Simple question from a simple mind.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    It doesn't really matter. Once upon a time, some people used them shiny side facing in for cold weather, but is isn't necessary. I would not camp in a popup without PUGs on the bunk ends, in any weather, they were that much help when we had our pups. In really cold weather, using them on the bunk end roof and either fleece or PUGs bunk end liners was a huge help. We never did the Reflectix in the windows, since we wanted a) more of the canvas covered and b) on some days we need to open windows during the day even if it's cold at night.
    While needing to maintain some air flow for condensation reduction, having both PUGs and the bunk end liners was a big help when we encountered unexpectedly cold (low in the teens) and snowy weather the first year with our Cobalt.

Attached Files:

Steven Harris likes this.
  13. Dogs & Pup

Dogs & Pup New Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Indiana
    You may not know, but the gizmo guy has a sale on Black Friday. That is when I got mine.