Beeping from invertor when circuit is on

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Pike2350, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Pike2350

Pike2350 New Member

Jul 18, 2017
    [edit] I mean converter, not inverter.

I recently bought a '96 Coleman Bayport. Everything works on it, furnace, water heater, furnace, fridge, water pump, etc. I've been trying to learn all I can about it...and things were fine until Saturday.

I brought it home last Sunday and set it up in the driveway to clean it. I plugged it into the house via the power cable. Everything worked fine. On Saturday the DW and I went out to start a good cleaning on the vinyl and such. We had unplugged the PUP from the house a few days earlier (after verifying things were working for a few days) When we plugged it into the house power the inverter started doing a high pitched tone. I found if I turned off the 1of the breakers it would stop...but that also meant that none of the plugs, the water pump worked. I think the other breaker is for the fridge...but i'm not sure.

The inverter has 2 breakers (1 20amp 1 15amp) There are are 3 fuses (all are listed as 15amp) The inverter isn't stock, I don't believe due to what appears to be a patch in the cabinet next to it. I forgot to get a picture of it before I left for work..but can update with that after. I think the batteries are toast, because when we picked it up the lights were pretty dim on just DC power. They also have dates of 06/08 on the 2 12v batteries in boxes on the tongue.

Is the beeping/squealing from a lack of charging on the batteries or is there something else that is possible? I'm finding it difficult to get much information on the Bayport since it appears to only have been produced in '96 and '97. I know most of the components are across multiple models and makes, but I'm still learning each one so I don't know what to cross reference.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I suspect it may have something to do with your battery. If you were to test your battery for a charge what does it read? If you unplugged your camper but not the battery a parasitic draw probabaly caused your battery to get too low.

3. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    it's a converter; turns 120VAC into 12VDC. The 20A breaker is for the AC, there should be 20A outlet, I think it's under the table. The 15A breaker powers the converter among the other items you listed. The converter should be a Magnatek 6606, 6A, no charging. On one that old, the transformer core plates can loosen up and have enough space to hum when power is applied.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    The noise was most likely coming from the propane detector, when the battery gets too week the detector starts beeping as a warning (the propane detector will also kill a battery in a few days if the battery cable/fuse/cut-off switch.. The water pump is 12 volts and will run off the battery, which was probably killed by the detector.. circuit breakers are for things like the outlets and ac as well as the 120 setting on the fridge. 12 volts uses fuses and powers things like the water pump, lights, ceiling fan, furnace blower..

5. Pike2350

Pike2350 New Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Is the propane detector part of the converter? Where would I find it? I hadn't changed anything with the propane between unplugging the trailer from the house when it worked, to when I plugged it in on Saturday and it beeped. The lights also seemed dim, even when plugged in to the house power.

My trailer doesn't have A/C, so is the 20amp breaker just for the 20amp fuse then?

6. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Unless added by a previous owner, a 96 Bayport wouldn't have a propane detector.

7. Pike2350

Pike2350 New Member

Jul 18, 2017
    This isn't a "hum" this is an extremely high pitched squeal/beep....much like a fire alarm. I thought it was coming out of the converter itself, but I'll have to double check when I get home.

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
  9. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    They are listed starting with the 2007 Fleetwood brochures.

10. Pike2350

Pike2350 New Member

Jul 18, 2017
    So i documented the batteries and bought a new one, but hasn't yet installed it. I tested the circuit again and thought it was ok... .After a bit 5-10 mins the alarm went off again. This was if only there 120v. There was only the fridge powered at this time.

I do have an Elixer model ELX-12.

Any other thoughts? Bad converter? Dirty power through the cord?

11. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Did a search for your problem and it appears that most of them had to replace the converter?
    Check this popup portal thread

12. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Elixir converters have a piezo-electric low voltage alarm. It will sound if attempting to charge a very low battery or if something else is placing a heavy load on the converter.

13. VTRailroadguy

VTRailroadguy Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Northwestern Vermont
    It's your converter. I had the same issue with the one in our old pop up and it eventually got so bad that it would sound any time I turned anything on in the camper. I replaced it with a WFCO converter and never looked back. In the mean time, you could use it to keep your battery charged and just unplug from shore power any time you camp in it. We didn't have AC or a TV in ours, so it didn't really impact us much.