Being hijacked by surveys/ads while reading posts

Discussion in 'Hey PUP Staff, Let me tell you what I think!' started by DJFav, Sep 30, 2018.

1. DJFav

DJFav Member

Sep 25, 2018
    What's up with this? I try my "go back" button (sometimes a million times) but am forced to exit the portal. Then I come back and can't remember the "page" I was on. Very frustrating!!!!

brainpause likes this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Is this on your phone? Some of us have had this trouble, but only on the phone. And I am sorry I was talking to POPUP Steve yesterday and it slipped my mind, I was going to ask about that.

3. DJFav

DJFav Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Yes, Android. Thanks raycfe for looking into this for us newbies! Love this portal!!

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Using my IPhone, I experience problems about half the time. Using Google Chrome on my laptop, never have had a problem.

5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Never a problem on my Chromebook.
    Sometimes on my phone. Android using Chrome.

6. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    It’s rogue ads. They've been an issue for a long time. See the thread below and the others like it in the “tell the staff” category. The only way I can use the Portal is with an ad blocker enabled, which is unfortunate because then I’m not helping support the site with the non-evil ads.

http://www.popupportal.com/threads/new-full-page-ads.112939/

7. DJFav

DJFav Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Thanks for the info! Glad it's not just me. Even the obnoxious ads won't keep me away from this portal! :)

8. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I deal with this all of the time. Sometimes I have to close out several times before I can read a post. I actually had a pop up while trying to read this post ironically lol. Using Android Chrome browser.

9. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    No probs w/ my Samsung flip phone...

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Same here using Android chrome on the phone, doesn't happen using my iPad or at least it hasn't yet.

11. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    So glad to hear it's not just me! I've had to close the window and return in a new one so I can continue on. It only seems to happen on my phone.

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    It comes up on my phone when i link from the e mails. If i use the default browser, it dosent happen. If the mods need more info, andriod problums are a pain as there are many versions and customizable to the phone tablet, start a thread with the info they need.

13. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    It's older than SPAM.

Rik Peery likes this.
  14. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    We have tried to kill these but they keep (pardon the pun), popping up.

Every so often the legitimate banner ads get hit by spammers. It's hard to put into words how this happens and it's even harder to track down the source. Our supplier sweeps for issues but they can't catch everything. Every time they make a change to stop it, the spammers change their approach. It's normally only occurs on mobile devices. When it happens on a non-mobile device, it's most likely malware on that device and not on the website.

emoney likes this.
  15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I only go on on my desk top pooter, I use avast for security etc. I have no problem with ads as they are blocked, I use mustang for e-mail and if I get junk, I mark it junk and it goes into the junk folder after that. My home phone is answered like this:
    PH: Ring
    ME Good morning /afternoon, you have reached Holmes County Sheriff's office fraud division, This is Lt. Jackson and this call is being recorded.
    Usually they hang right away and that number does not call back

DJFav and neighbormike like this.