Best addition!!

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Jose, Nov 29, 2017.

1. CamperLover

CamperLover For evil to triumph, Good men do nothing

Jul 28, 2015
    20170905_071352.jpg camper1.jpg danby-ddw496w-countertop-dishwasher-3.jpg 7a4e3cd9e84fc9ed.jpg

kf4hoq and CheekyRunner like this.
  2. CamperLover

Jul 28, 2015
    88203ddaf26a1c2b9df246db0e6f2e53.jpg

Orchid likes this.
  3. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    That's an interesting set up. Does it use a short hose connection or something else? How does the diamond plate attach to the camper?

4. kgesiako

kgesiako New Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Chicagoland area
    We have the 25 gal portable grey water tank and am thinking about putting a portable fold up carrier, the kind that go on receiver, on back of trailer to mount. Not sure if I like that idea yet or not. Also gonna try putting quick disconnect fittings on outside shower and have one of those collapsible hoses that I can use for extinguishing the fire pit. Looking forward for my spring projects!

5. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    321164C8-9200-4390-B9CB-C2C0DEE4FEE9.jpeg I have a campchef oven and had a hard time finding a stand just right to put it on. Our camp kitchen just didn’t work. I finally came across a tailgate table which is perfect. Now if I can find a camp organizer to clamp on it I’ll be set.

6. CamperLover

Jul 28, 2015
    Its in storage at the moment. The plate is a bi fold. the back of the sides is curved with a shaft running through it as a pivot point. The frame is what keeps it in place and 2 lock latches hold it in place.

I copied the Idea from a 4x4 camper blogger. I was going to attach a hose to fill but I thought what a pain to empty and clean. I ust it to transport only. I use a siphon drain and an old hose so that it lets air in and the drain will not be slow. I also attached the shower drain with a tee. The pics are not mine but this is what it looks like.

This link shows a drafted drain. Without air the drain would quickly back up.

0e15666024a2fd1dac6e0a49a92a8a6d--airstream-remodel-water-tank.jpg jkvent4.jpg 960661599_tp.jpg eca75d3b49918e379ab8e34d6bd83a8d--camper-parts-rv-campers.jpg

kf4hoq likes this.
  7. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I enjoy reading threads like this, a lot of good ideas. So far, I am just loving the simplicity of the little pop up, and not wanting to add much to the list of things to do to set up camp. much of what we take along with the pup, we already had, as we have accumulated a lot of extra stuff over the years.
    we have a nice outdoor kitchen set up from when we tent camped a while, and may bring that along for our longer summer camping trips. we use a 6 gallon water container for grey water, and a 6 gallon aquatainer for extra fresh water. We do have one of those rolling tanks for grey water that we may take along.
    we just installed a charge controller and wired the camper for our solar panel, which is, I feel a necessity.
    Also, have enjoyed our little buddy heater for chilly days and evenings.
    memory foam bed topper also a necessity.
    I'm going to want to change our sink faucet, I think. it is too short.

8. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Can't say enough about the anti-fatigue foam tiles under the mattress. Adds so much comfort and insulation!

kf4hoq and penny like this.
  9. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I've seen them mentioned so often. Are they all "equal" or is one brand favored over another? And they help a lot with comfort and insulation?

Katskamper likes this.
  10. Don's eagle pup

Don's eagle pup Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Sycamore IL
    My latest addition is the dinette table I just made. The entire table is made from the cross beam from 150 y/o downed barn from northern Wisconsin. I inlayed the checker layout for the rainy days. Next will be the light fixture that will hang above the table. IMG_20171117_195140853.jpg IMG_20171117_195140853.jpg

Garrity, Strawhouse, Orchid and 6 others like this.
  11. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    that is gorgeous!

12. Katskamper

Katskamper Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    E59DBC2C-F8A2-42C1-8DB7-A73B39E971FE.jpeg for the camp chef stove- aluminum bench.
    amazon, northern tools, harbor freight, all have similar item.
    puts the camp chef burners at std counter height. i had a wood shelf for bottom.

13. Katskamper

Katskamper Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    ❤️ veeeery nice. real wood. im looking for a dining table i can salvage to do something like this.

14. Don's eagle pup

Don's eagle pup Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Sycamore IL
    Thank you both, I'm very into using reclaimed products anywhere I can. Made the cedar step out of my neighbors deck... IMG_20171129_131754884.jpg

15. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    So far the best addition to my PUP is a second battery.

This allows me to allow my family to run the furnace at will without causing me to lose sleep over whether or not we'll run down the battery overnight. We can get three nights in cold (near freezing) weather, or four nights in cool weather (40's at night) , five nights in mild weather (50+ at night), or over a week in warm weather (over 60+ at night).

The second best addition has been a Mr Heater Buddy with a 12' hose and fuel filter. My furnace went out a couple of times, and both of those times the Mr Heater Buddy kept us (particularly my wife and kids, so by extension, me) happy.

Third best has been a cig lighter receptacle. Why, oh why would they manufacture a trailer with a 12v system, with no 12v outlets?

Fourth best has been Popup Gizmos, because cold and hot weather happen.

This does not account for the must-haves: Wheel chocks, levelers, hoses, gray water jugs, and so on.

Katskamper likes this.
  16. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    I know some of you have seen this before but I get a tickle out of them every time I use them. I avoid cooler crowding by stowing single/multi serving packets in a Walmart tackle box. I installed Rev-A-Sheves to avoid the 'head below the knees' position in search of something I stowed in the dark recesses. I pack the space by placing an extra sleeping bag atop the single shelf. CondimentTackleBox.jpg PullOutDrawer.jpg WhatNots.jpg

Garrity, Orchid, kf4hoq and 1 other person like this.
  17. Katskamper

Katskamper Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    where did you put second battery? 12v receptacle- my next project!

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Nice table!

It's hard to pick one best addition, since we've had two popups and now the TT. Memory foam toppers have helped the bed in each. Heated mattress pad for cold weather camping when we have shore power.
    With the tiny and small popups (first was 6' box, second 8'), removing the sink to add counter space was helpful. For us, dishpans and a 4 gallon pail have worked well; we empty the pail after each use.
    Folding toilet that used gel bags was a great addition. We have a shower/potty tent, but never had a site to use it once it was bought. We still use the gel bags in the TT when we take it camping while winterized.
    We have a couple of sun/shade shelters, we've used a few over the years from tents to TT. Our current set consists of two REI Alcoves and an LL Bean screen house. The Alcoves are the most used, and most wind resistant. Two gives us options for set-up.
    We have 4 camp tables, again flexibility is the key, and they all are compact so aren't in the way while stored. One roll-up aluminum one adjusts to counter height, so is mostly used for cooking. The Coleman 4-in-1 outdoor table also can be counter height. I usually have one half adjusted to that, the other to table height; we used half at coffee table level over Thanksgiving.
    The awning we had on the second popup was handy, and we could set up the outdoor kitchen there. The one on the TT isn't as useful, so if we set up the outdoor kitchen, it's under one of the shelters.
    Solar panels, for the second pup and TT. When we up-sized to the Zamp for the TT, we kept the old panels. (They store well in an out-of-the-way section of bench storage.) That way, we can recharge the Goal Zero Yeti 150 - having a free-standing battery is very handy. We use it to charge the cell phones or Kindles, as well as run the Endless Breeze fan anywhere in the site we need it, or an LED bar light or lantern. So far, the Yeti hasn't needed topping off on a trip, it seems to have more capacity than its predecessor, but it's good to know we can charge it.
    A second LP tank and auto-changeover - no worries about running out in the middle of a cold night.
    We stayed with the single group 24 battery on the (2nd) pup, but changed to dual 6v ones on the TT. Even though the TT is smaller than some pups and HTTs, we have more things that use power than our small pup had.

19. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    When I added a second battery to the Chalet Aframe I was able to just slide the existing plastic battery box from its central location on the L-shaped rails to the edge, and place the second box next to it. Both were secured in their new position with self drilling screws and washers. The straps act as a backup to keep the boxes in place.

The above were Group 24 size batteries. When it is time for a new set I may want to step up to Group 27 or 29 size, which will require longer rails. Replacement battery rails will need to be of heavier stock, as about a quarter of each Group 29 battery would be outside the trailer frame rails. Not sure if this would really be worth the trouble- remove old battery rails with angle grinder, acquire/cut/weld on new rails, two coats of ant-rust paint.

20. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    In my Forest River Rockwood Premier 2516G the single battery that came with the trailer was mounted on a bracket in the frame's A-frame tongue area, nestled between the body of the trailer and the dual propane tanks. There was JUST enough room between the arms of the trailer's A frame to slide one Group 24 battery to the left (originally mounted right in the middle of the A portion of the frame), leaving room for a second one to the right. I could not have fit two Group 27s in protective boxes, so two Group 24s, in battery boxes, was the ideal solution for me.

So on my trailer the two Group 24 batteries fit in boxes side by side between the arms of the trailer's A frame section, aft of the propane tanks, forward of the trailer's box.

In the future, if my dual Group-24 batteries ever really give up, I'll replace them both with dual 6v golf cart batteries, and wire them in series. I suspect that would give me slightly more capacity than I currently have, and slightly more durability. But when I added the second Group 24 battery I already had the first one, and it was only a couple months old. So it made sense at the time to purchase a second identical battery. It would have been wasteful to upgrade to a pair of 6v batteries at the time.