Best and Worst Thing About Owning a PUP.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by BikeNFish, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    Pros: not sleeping on the ground in my tent, gas furnace for cold October nights

Cons: packing up wet and having to dry out at home, the "go go gadget" jokes from my friends with tt's and 5th wheels

2. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Best: easy tow, maneuverability, fuel mileage, tent like outdoorsy persona with every amenity, cost effective, and just plain fun.

Worst: set up, tear down, really fricken hot inside, lift maintenance (sucks), no overnights while traveling, fridge controls only inside (inconvenient to switch if I motel it on the road).

Other than that, I love modding for the pup and make a hobby of it.

3. doggirl

doggirl Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Best of the best: Waking up, sparking up the gas stove and making a pot of coffee. It's that easy.
    The best of tent camping without having to sleep on the ground, keep it meticulously organized or awake in a puddle. It's so roomy for an eight foot box, is open to the outdoors and fresh air yet protects from rain, cold and heat (when electric is available for the AC), has running water, holds a ton of camping stuff, has room for our dog to sleep comfortably on her own bed. It connects with nature in a way that bugs aren't as scary, dirt not as offensive, plants and weather more noticeable and time slower. Setting up each campsite into a unique indoor/outdoor living space. Learning something each trip that makes the next trip a bit easier.

The worst: making repairs, especially when they don't work ;)
    The worst of the worst: having to break camp under pressure of check-out. I would add set up/break down in inclement weather, but we have been really, really, really lucky avoiding it thus far.

The inconvenient: having to refill the water tank by hand, having to dump the 11 gallon gray water tank. Then considering the alternative of tent camping without access to gallons of stored water and having to wash by a spigot these become nothing but small necessary jobs. I don't love having to clean sap off the canvas afterwards but having great memories of the trip helps alot.

Dback2k4 and JPBar like this.
  4. Fbird

Fbird New Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    Best part is getting out in nature, worst part is nowing I got to go home and back to work.

5. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    One of my biggest cons with my pop up is the small opening to access my water pump. It's a real pain to winterize because I can barely fit my arms in to screw in the line that I use to run the antifreeze through.

My biggest pro is I can store it in my garage.

6. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Colorado
    -Location, location, location
    -A trip in the PUP beats the price of a hotel for three nights plus meals. No pet deposit
    Once the awning is on and the top raised, DW sets up the inside while I situate the outside (done before the coffee finishes)
    -Smell of the forest/mountains, sound of the wolves
    Fits in the back yard and nobody knows its there

-High winds (25+mph) will make you question your faith in four little bolts that hold the top to the risers
    -The fold over sink/counter top always to dribble a little water when you close it up. Put a towel under the spigot
    -Don't like a toilet that close to my table. Don't have a toilet in the PUP but the thought bugs me.

7. NWYuma2004

NWYuma2004 Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Pro: low cost of ownership and stores easily outdoors. Ease of towing. Love hearing the raindrops fall on the canvas roof but far, far off the ground! Having the ability to camp just about anywhere but feel as comfortable as staying in a mid-range motel room with amazing views. I love camping in the woods and seeing trees through the side and bed end windows. I actually enjoy setting the camper up. Why is tear down such a drag?!?

Con: Tear down, especially after staying someplace for a week! I'll second the nod someone had about racing the check out clock. 85% of the time we are begging the camp host for another hour/grace period, LOL! Not being able to easily do overnight pull overs.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  8. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    Pros:
    Relatively inexpensive
    Easy to tow
    More comfortable and roomier than a tent (I'm 6'6, so tents suck for me)
    More "amenities" built in (Fridge, sink, stove, furnace, running water)

Cons:
    Setup/tear down in rain

I like the versatility and DW and I both like the comfort but yet you still get the feeling of sleeping under the stars - more so than a TT. However, we have no illusions that once age meets up with hopefully more expendable $$, we will graduate to at least a hybrid. :D

9. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Best... Nobody has asked to borrow it...looks too complicated.

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com and JPBar like this.
  10. Daisy on my toe

Daisy on my toe Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Chicago area
    Come to think of it no one has asked for ours either...

11. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Pros : As most have stated, hearing the pitter patter of rain on the canvas is very peaceful and knowing it's not going to run through like in a tent is reassuring. We keep our pup stocked from the start of the season to the end so it's very easy to pretty much hook up and go on a whim.

Cons : Yes....teardown in the rain. We have started to cover our pup with a large white tarp that covers the bunk ends and awning so that we can close up a dry camper and then just have a wet tarp to deal with at home. Also, I only have a single garage so storage is not great.

12. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Pros far outweigh the cons!

13. Lanternman

Lanternman Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Mooresville NC
    Best: getting there, cracking a beer and setting up camp.
    Worst: breaking down camp and going home.

Seriously though, im kinda new to pup camping (just over a year and have logged probably 16-18 weekends already) and have found this:
    Best: Takes up very little storage area and at the same time gives me a place to keep all my camping stuff instead of the garage and back shed. Hook on and go.
    Worst: Always waiting for a cable to snap while raising, and the constant fear of a branch falling out of a tree and blowing a hole in the canvas.

14. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Best: echo everything above. My favorite is cost of ownership.

Worst: Marriage enrichment "opportunities" when setting up with my DW. Why do we argue while setting this thing up after all these years?

BikeNFish likes this.
  15. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Best:
    higher mileage towing popup than with TT which means less stops at gas stations
    Passing TT, RVs on road during hard blowing winds and uphill on mountains
    setting up and setting down is therapy for me
    can feel wind, fresh air blowing through Subrella canvas

Worst:
    Not a good idea for overnight camping on way to the destination.
    drying out canvas with towel, Can't do that at storage or condo with HOA breathing on my back
    lights shine through canvas at night
    wife telling me what to do at set ups (I have 23 years of popup experience but she - only 3 years!)

16. McCampers

McCampers New Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Best: People you meet and things you get to see.

Worst: Lack of bathroom and shower in our Scout, which forces us to use an outdoor privacy tent.

17. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    Most of the county and state parks I go to they really don't care about check-out times on Sunday afternoons as long as I'm gone by sundown :)

18. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    Best) don't have to get up off the ground in the morning. Heat in the colder months. Storage for camping equipment. Can tow with smaller tv. Don't have to worry about rain flooding tent(happened to a friend who was camping with us, that's when we decided to by a pop-up).

Worst) not so much opening it up but having to unload it whenever I need to get in to put something away or make repairs ,mods or just clean.

19. rich2

rich2 Member

May 3, 2007
    Northampton, PA
    Pros: Off the ground when it rains, but still the sound of rain on canvas, place to store the camping equipment with loading the car each and every time

Cons: Always had nightmares about the lift system failing at the campground...but no bad thoughts anymore ever since I got by '65 Cox Campsquire as it has no lift system. Remove road cover, flip out bunks, button canvas..done

20. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

May 23, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    Pro - Whenever I get to use it
    Con - When it's sitting in the driveway and I am not using it....

I have offered to let someone (one couple) use it....they had to sell theirs and I know they know how to use one