Best grease gun for your axle lube job?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Tukee44, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

Apr 28, 2012
    I just tossed away my MIC (Made in China) grease gun. I have a hard time removing it from the Zerk fitting, hard time to pump and prime, causing a mess each time I use it. When it can't pump the grease in, nothing I can do but remove the bearing and pack manually, a big job!! If I am in crunched time, I am screwed.

Enough is enough. A happy camper got to have a reliable tool.

So I order a new pump from Amelite on Amazon for $50. It is also MIC, but it is the most expensive, with best review, and name-brand.

I also figure out a trick. If the grease can't be pumped in (like having a blockage or something), just remove the Zerk fitting and use a 0.2" dia rod as a piston pump to clear out the blockage.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Wow. I've never thought about grease gun problems. I have two. One for my boat trailer's marine grease and one for the pup's NLGI Lithium. I've never had a problem with either.

Neither one is a cheapy, but not top of the line either. I have no idea where they were manufactured.

I'm a wealth of knowledge. Just not on this thread. Sorry. :confused:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    J Starsky likes this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I have 3. They all are Lubrimatic brand from Walmart. They probably cost about 15 bucks each. Each works just fine.

4. J Starsky

J Starsky Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I have 2 guns, one big, one little. Both loaded with Red. Little one is for axle u-joints (jeep people problems)

5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    I have one large, one small. Large one was the most expensive from O-Reilly's, still made in China, but has lasted for many years. It has the hand grip for pumping vs. the longer trigger used on some. It is always ready to go with Mobil 1 syn. The smaller one is loaded with a non-syn that was used only for pumping grease in and around the manual lift bolt for my old power winch.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have several, one is air operated which is great for doing the farm equipment, then I have a regular size and then a small one for the quick jobs out in the pasture or woods. I cannot use the air operated one on my TT axles because too much pressure can /will blow the rear seals and grease the brakes at the same time. I usually use the green marine grease which works better (my opinion)