best "old" camper

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by penny, Dec 6, 2017.

1. penny

penny Member

Nov 9, 2017
    We were talking a bit today about the "best buy" camper we've ever owned. our first one was one of the old aluminum trailers with a green tent, no roof, and a bed on each side. then we bought a tiny palomino from the neighbors, then a bigger starcraft, then a bit bigger jayco. But the best deal we ever got was on a 87 palomino hard side that was so new the plastic was on the beds. Sadly, the people were divorcing and selling everything. I think I've always regretted selling that camper. It was pretty heavy, but boy was it nice!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  2. rich2

rich2 Active Member

May 3, 2007
    Northampton, PA
    I like lightweight pop ups...under 1000 lbs, by most favorite was a 1985 Coleman Colorado, but then I found a deal on a 1965 Cox Campsquire, all original down to the tires which were dated 1965. This is now my favorite, since it is the same as the first camper I remember my father owning.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017 at 10:49 AM
  3. penny

penny Member

Nov 9, 2017
    did some research on the cox camper. very nice, and similar to our first aluminum and canvas camper. Apache sticks in my mind, I have pictures of it somewhere.

4. JBinNV

JBinNV Member

May 10, 2017
    Reno, NV
    1996 Jayco Eagle 8. Super light, built very well and had everything one would need for quick boondocking weekend getaways. Bought it used in excellent condition in 2004 for $1200 bucks. Sold it 4 years later for $2400. Should have kept that thing........

5. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit New Member

Nov 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Our first pop up was a 1989 Coleman, which I bought in 1996 when hubby was away on business[:D] (we used to tent camp, but during a really bad storm it ripped it quite badly and that was that).
    We used it often for weekends with our daughter when she was 15 - 18 yrs old. Then she outgrew us and preferred tent camping with her friends. Did a couple of 2 week trips through the Finger Lakes, Boston and then over to Nova Scotia and through PEI, etc. Also did Quebec, Gaspe New Brunswick. Loved every minute of it. Put it to sleep and little long (12 years - due to opening our own business) and the mice took over. We had loaned it to family and they didn't take care of it. Thought we'd take it back and fix 'er up, but the $$ continued to climbed. Gave it away to a fellow that wanted it for a small business for his handicapped daughter (he was going to strip it down and convert it into a food truck of sorts). Found a used 2012 Popup that we loved, but for $1,000 (due to a show special) more we bought a brand new 2018 one! A week later, all the sale inventory went up to the original $$ so we ended up saving $3,000 overall! Bonus! Can't wait to get it out on the road.

I do prefer the Coleman galley kitchen that swings down rather than the kind that flips over.

CheekyRunner likes this.
  6. penny

penny Member

Nov 9, 2017
    ah, memories! It is cold and a bit snowy here in southern NM, and I have a rotten cold. so laying around reading about and dreaming of camping! glad there are fellow camping nuts to talk to!

Redbird934 likes this.
  7. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    We had one of those for a long time. We loved it, but we found we no longer needed the large size and extra weight for the two of us.

8. penny

penny Member

Nov 9, 2017
    It would be neat to find another in good shape, take off the beds and make folding ends, turning it into a folding hard side TT.

9. chrwiski

chrwiski New Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Lathrop, CA
    Wow< and i thought my old Coleman 70-ish trailer I had bought for $700 bucks and had for 4 years then sold for $700 with a fraying cable, no batteries and no propane tank was a good deal ... You made $1200 in 4 years... lol

10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I bought my 1997 StarCraft Venture 2408 for $500.00, four years ago, from a friend at work. He paid $1700 for the camper a year earlier.It had a broken lift cable. To this day I have only replaced the lift cable, tires,wheel bearings and a door latch. I have not seen or heard from the friend, that I bought the camper from, in a year. He was arrested for stealing over $460,000 from our work place. Probably why he didn't mind losing money on the camper.