Best Way to Make a Bunch of KOA Reservations?

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by raindog308, May 19, 2015.

1. raindog308

raindog308 New Member

Mar 3, 2015
    We're getting ready to venture cross-country in July and will have a bunch of one-night stays at KOA campgrounds.

I'm wondering if people have an opinion on the best way to make reservations:

(1) Online

(2) Call the 1-800

(3) Call the individual campground

...or does it matter?

We've had the experience of calling individual campgrounds and getting different rates than online. We have the KOA Kard so were planning to leverage that discount.

Though we've also had the experience of calling individual campgrounds and the staff there had never heard of the Kard :)

shuang2 likes this.
  2. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    I don't make reservations for travel days. I only make a reservation for the destination.

On the other hand, I also try to avoid KOA campgrounds so I have no idea how to make a reservation at one or many.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We don't make reservation either for one night stays when traveling. We decide on the road where we will get and then we use the KOA app on my iPhone and make the reservation via that. This way if we get there after the office closes we pull in get our envelope and get to our site. But we have only ever (since 2008) run into a KOA that was completely booked and had to go to another CG. Apparently there was a huge reunion going on and they had no sites available. We also are KOA members.

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I'm at Ventura Ranch KOA right now this week. Once or twice a year I camp close to my work. I called and made reservations last March for this week. I usually call or reserve online with different campgrounds.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We have the KOA kard, and make reservations on online when we have lead time. AFAIK, we have not gotten a worse price when booking ahead of time than if we had just walked in. When I travel across country, especially solo, having a firm place to stay is usually more desirable than trying to find a campground. Once in a while, I wish I could stop earlier, but one the whole, reservations work better for me than not having them.
    Sometimes we will call a campground from the road, if we change plans or are going without planning ahead of time.

6. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I like this topic...and want to read all the answers

7. moose_mom

moose_mom Member

Jun 19, 2013
    On long roadtrips where we have had to stick to an itinerary, we have booked online. Once in awhile, I'll need a question answered so Ill phone, but online for the most part

8. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

Jun 28, 2010
    We pretty much online camp at KOA's and I always call the campground directly. I have found that you can be looking at the map of the campground while on the phone and some will let you pick the spot you want. Online, you only can book based on your service needs.

9. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    We did on line reservations for our entire trip and used exclusively KOA as they are easy to get too and the next one was always an easy drive to get to. Made it very easy. We really did not care too much about the sites as we were only there single nights, just wanted to be near the bathhouse. We only got water and electric hook up as we could dump as we left in the morning if needed. Though when we got pull through sites, that was extra nice not having to back in after a long travel day. It is a different thought process as you are traveling and not truly camping on a trip like this, not everything has to be set up for a one nighter. We did not unpack the awning, the camp chairs, and did not bother with a campfire. We tended to eat dinner out and only had lunch stuff and drinks in the cooler. Breakfast was quick stuff like cereal. We did Maryland to Yellowstone and back. Great trip.

10. collumbuscamper

collumbuscamper New Member

Mar 7, 2018
    You can do it on their website or also sites like this one: https://www.roverpass.com/