Best way to repair small hole in roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by PammyM, Jul 11, 2018.

1. PammyM

PammyM Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Hello all. I have a 2012 Forest River Freedom 1940 LTD PopUp. Wind picked up my awning this weekend and threw it on top of the PopUp. I was bummed to see later that it punctured a small hole through the outside skin of the roof. I can see what looks like foam inside. The hole is maybe 1"x1" at most, and one side of the hole is in tact. I threw some duct tape on it to get me home, and glad View attachment 41738 I did as the skies opened up right as I pulled into my driveway. I looked at my owners manual to see what material the roof is made of. It doesn't specifically list it but does refer to fiberglass roof/body when it talks about cleaning. It's that pebbly one piece looking kind of roof (see pic). What's the best material to use for the repair of a small hole? I was searching through YouTube and watched a video of a guy that used "FiberFix Rigid Patch". Would that be the best option? Seems like it would work good, but it's kind of an unsightly repair. Anything that would look better that wouldn't crack in cold/hot New Hampshire weather and need to be re-done periodically?

While I'm at it. The two brackets on the inside of the camper ceiling that hold the door in place look like they want to pull out of the ceiling at some point. Is there a way to strengthen those brackets or a better replacement for those brackets?

Thanks, Pam

Forest River 1940LTD.jpg

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    I used a fiberglass repair kit (auto parts stores, local hardware or big box stores have these kits) to fix a 1" hole in my Flion (fiberglass) roof. Just follow the directions, it is easy. No the color does not match the roof, different shades of white, but it has held up to 6 years of Michigan weather with no issues.
    Good luck!

3. PammyM

PammyM Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Ok, thanks Friartuck. I was wondering if a Fiberglass repair kit or something like 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive/Sealant would be better for a small hole. And then there is eternabond tape.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    3M 5200 sealant will hold and seal it ....................... forever.......

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Just don't use it on anything you may want to take apart .......... because it wouldn't come apart.

PammyM likes this.
  6. PammyM

PammyM Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Thanks Raycfe. I just ordered some 3M 5200. I just really didn't like how a fiberglass patch would look for such a small hole. I think the 5200 will be much less noticeable. Do you know if the quick cure is just as good as the regular 5200?

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    The 4200 will be also ok. sealant >waxed paper>brick

PammyM likes this.
  8. sstressfl

sstressfl New Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Vermont
    I use white paintable caulk for small holes in the roof. I just use my finger to apply.

PammyM likes this.
  9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Reminds me of one of my goofy things i did...

I was adding a third LED ceiling light fixture to go over the sink area in my OFF-ROAD POPUP.... Got the small hole in bottom part of the ceiling cut and 12VDC wire running to this area from the side of ceiling just fine. My ceiling is filed with foam and then covered with 1/4-inch board on the inside of the ceiling.

After all was done and hole cut with wires ran I about ready to make the wire connections and finally screw the very light weight fixture to the ceiling.

So getting down back on the floor to drink a quick cup of coffee first I noticed the red-orange beam of light on the floor. Sure enough I penetrated the roof membrane cover when I was drilling I guess and that was the SUN shining on my trailer floor hehe...

I decided to just use a good clear DAP sealant to fill the very small hole on both sides of the roof area. Like above used my fingers to fill the small hole... Let everything dry over night before doing anything else and all did just great... You can hardly notice the sealant bump on the top of the trailer... It was flared out abit in a circle on the top side...

Worked good for my very small drill hole... A one inch square hole would require a patch of some sort I guess...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

sstressfl and PammyM like this.
  10. PammyM

PammyM Member

Aug 30, 2017
    I like the idea of wax paper and a brick. I was thinking cellophane but I think your idea is better

11. PammyM

PammyM Member

Aug 30, 2017
    So I used the 3M 5200 Fast Cure to patch the hole last night. I made it night and flat. I just went to check on it and bubbled up/swelled in the center. Will it flatten out as it totally cures or should I put wax paper with a brick on top of it for a while to flatten it out? It's been about 12 hours since I applied it. I tried the wax paper and brick last night when it was wet, but it just pulled out the material when I pulled it off.