Bigger wheels/tires

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by dwright8, Sep 10, 2016.

1. dwright8

dwright8 New Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Anyone ever increased the wheel/tire size on their PUP? I'd like to have higher clearance when boondocking and whatnot. Shackle flip? just bigger tires? I have a 2015 Palomino 10d. They made an "offroad" edition that has bigger wheels/tires but I was not aware at the time.

2. D-mac

D-mac New Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Pinnacle, NC
    I just purchased an 04 Yuma that the owner put 14" tires, mag wheels and flipped the axle (had the bow reversed) and added heavier springs. It pulls great and has a lot better clearance.

3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    My axle is flipped, original little red wagon 13" inch wheels were removed, and currently running 215x70-15 AT tires. (If going to non ST tires, you have to go a lot larger to get the same or better load rating.) Make sure you have clearance ALL around the tire, front, rear, top and inside. Tires tend to get wider (depth measurement) so make sure the tire/rim will not rub against anything on the inside of the tire.

Flip gave me maybe 4-4.5 inches, larger tires gave me approx. 1.5". (Replacement tires had 2.9" greater overall diameter which relates to approx. 1.5" of extra axle height.)

A year later I installed heavier springs; not for more lift, there was none, but just to sustain the types of trails I was taking the trailer on. One old spring broke, and shackles were destroyed.

Might need new stabilizers after lifting to reach the ground, or a lot of blocks will be needed. *I have long stabilizers installed, but at times the front need plenty of blocks.)...
    [​IMG]

Another thing to consider. I pull with a PU truck, and it requires a hitch receiver with (either) a 4.5" or 4.75" rise. [:D]

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    On my 86 Coleman Columbia, I changed the tires from 4.80 x 8 to 4.80 x12. I had plenty of room in the wheel well, so it was just a straight shot.

5. dwright8

dwright8 New Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Good info! Thanks. I pull with a Tacoma with a 3" lift, so my hitch is currently at a 3 or 4" drop ( can't remember ) I figured the shackle flip was the way to go. You just put the PUP on jackstands and drop the axle for that? I'll post a pic how it sits now. Maybe it will help figure out if I need to lift it or maybe just get bigger wheels. There several inches from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender. Thanks again.

6. JSWeaver

JSWeaver New Member

Sep 20, 2016
    I also did the axle flip on my '08 Fleetwood Bayside and installed ST205/75R15 (load range C) tires. The factory 185/80D13 were showing significant wear on the inner edge due to weight as they offered little surplus in the actual weight vs maximum allowable weight. The new tires provide a nice increase in the weight rating and tow/roll amazingly better. Lifting it makes it easy to get in my driveway without dragging the bumper as well as being able to get under it to perform routine maintenance.

Attached Files:

Delta18 likes this.
  7. EricB

EricB New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I recently upgraded from 13" wheels to 14" wheels. Still have plenty of clearance from the test fitment. Haven't pulled yet because also upgrading from axle to include brakes. I know over kill with the brakes on a PUP, but would rather be safe and reduce wear on tow vehicle. Just me 2 cents.

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Bummer on possible stabilizer replacement after flipping axle....

9. Delta18

Delta18 New Member

Jun 28, 2016
    so, about how much higher is everything? 4" ~ 5"? I need to do this.

10. Winchested

Winchested Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Diameter of axle+ spring perch height + half the extra diameter in tire size= lift total.

I just did the axle conversion went from 24- 26" Tire.

2 3/8"+ 1 1/4"+ 1"= 4 5/8" lift.