Bike Rack advice needed

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by mpotapa, Aug 28, 2017.

1. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I made a bike rack out of 2x6s to put my bikes on the top of my camper. It worked well and made it 300 miles with no big issues. The small issue is the ratchet strap rubbed the paint off the top corner of my camper down to the metal. The straps also rubbed some paint off my bike. The red from the straps now shows a bit on my camper awning bag. Does anyone have a solution for this? I'm wondering if a better pair of ratchet straps would help, or putting some felt carpet on the corners and the bike. Any advice would be helpful. I attached a picture of my rack.

Attached Files:

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    No matter what straps you use, anywhere they ride against the paint, it will wear it off. You'll need something between the strap and the paint that will stay put and allow the straps to vibrate without coming in contact with the paint.

I've got the marks on my PUP roof to prove it too.

3. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I wonder if I could get something like this and cut pieces a little wider than the straps.

https://www.amazon.com/KidKusion-Ju...3969064&sr=8-11&keywords=rubber+corner+guards

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Sure, that would work, but so would a $6 hollow pool noodle cut in half with a knife.

5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    A trick with straps; give them a twist, do not run them flat/straight. A flat strap will vibrate a lot more in the wind than one with a twist.

MD Saga likes this.
  6. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Thanks for this info. I had the straps flat and they were vibrating a lot. I thought they needed to be tighter. Maybe I had them too tight.