Black Bear Season

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Orchid, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Some of this is hard when you live in a area that has an extremely large bear population. Its a thrill when you look out your front door, and have one looking at you. The pic in my avatar was taken with a game camera, out side my front door

3. Orchid

We live where there is a large black bear population as well. There are even several of them wandering around our downtown area right now.

It's not hard to keep the pet food inside and trash cans put up.

4. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Active Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    You can eat those ya know.

jnc, soft 17 and nineoaks2004 like this.
  5. Orchid

Not me. [LOL] Gross! Venison is about as exotic as I get.

Down here they eat alligator, too. It's so chewy, like eating a blob of fat. [XX(]

6. WVhillbilly

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
  7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I eat a lot of gator meat, (me x gator hunter, son is the gator hunter now) if cooked properly it is really good and tasty and makes a great sausage.

Orchid and WVhillbilly like this.
  8. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    You are correct my friend. In fact my coffee cup says "There is a place for all God's creatures, right next to the mashed taters and gravy"

Fbird, jnc and WVhillbilly like this.
  9. Orchid

I've only tried it once, it was a place up on the panhandle. One of my sons ordered it and I tried a piece of his. They probably didn't know how to make it right. The taste wasn't bad, but the consistency was so awful that I spit it out in my napkin.

That's pretty cool to be a gator hunter. I love watching Swamp People!

10. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I always get a well done when I cook some gator at home or the Lodge. We do not get a lot of bear but do get some occasionally, used to get 1/2 elk a year but the donor of that passed away. He used to bring a whole elk over and 1/2 was mine and the other half was for me to make jerky and sausage for him I also used to smoke 3-4 pork bellies at a time one for me and the rest for him to eat at the hunting camp, boy I sure miss him.

11. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Most people think all you eat of the gator is the tail, the rest of the meat is very good too, especially in jambalaya, stews or about any dish that beef is used.

12. WVhillbilly

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Mmmm jambalaya.

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Never tried gator or bear...but I have had rattlesnake when we visit family in Colorado...tastes like chicken [:D]

14. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I am heading to Canada on a fishing trip tomorrow.

Last year, as we were approaching our destination, a mama bear and two cubs crossed the road just ahead of us. For the past three years, bears have come into camp. Two years ago, another was swimming across the lake about 50 feet from where we were fishing. The bears are getting as thick as the mosquitoes up there!

The bear spray (not to be confused with mosquito spray) is packed.

NMroamer likes this.
  15. WVhillbilly

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    We were in TN the first week of May.
    Went to Cade's Cove, saw probably 10 bears.
    All mama bears with little ones.
    Also saw about 10 folks walking through an open field towards a mama bear and cub
    Just walking straight to it, when we drove off one person was about 50ft away from her and still closing.
    Staring at the phone screen they were filming with.
    My wife and I had no desire to see someone mauled by a bear, so we moved on.

Folks don't understand that these are wild animals, and even a small bear can kill you without much effort.

16. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Active Member

Sep 25, 2016
    2A8B5946-6AFD-4DE4-8761-F15A7897D27E.jpeg Yesterday morning in my co worker’s yard. Grizzly

DJS12354, myride and jnc like this.
  17. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

That's closer than I would like to have them to my home!

18. Rik Peery

Rik Peery New Member

Friday
    Salem Virginia
    This happened back up behind our house lol, family woke up by the horn blowing...

19. PaThacker

PaThacker Active Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    We have 800 pound black bear in my area of northeastern PA. They do not hibernate and search out residential food/roadkill during the winter. I backpack camp and boondock in this area. Closest bear while backpacking came up to me chomping jaws while I was eating mountain house chicken teriyaki.

20. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Friday
    South Carolina
    GOT IT......No camping in PA.. LOL [EEK]

OMG.. my nightmare has come true..

Impressed with your bravery ..... I would be packing up and leaving my site as soon as it walked away.. yikes LOL