Black Bear Season

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Orchid, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    We've been charged by a black bear before. From that experience let me state, when that happens the last thing on your mind is getting out the bear spray, wondering why the little bells work or didn't, or dropping a bandana so others can later find you. None of the smart idea's come to the front when it happens. It was a rather BIG boy who came at us, maybe 400-500lbs. It seems he couldn't smell us, so he charge past us to "see or smell" what you are. All that came to our mind was RUN! And he ran past and into the woods. All in fun (cleaning out pants)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    hayyward and Toedtoes like this.
  2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Can I bring a salt lick and put it in the loud people's site? That would take care of both problums?

4. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Having wilderness camped all my adult life with backpacking, canoeing and kayaking, I've had very few animal encounters. I've always hung my food from trees or use bear barrels when paddling. Kitchen etiquette as in proper food and trash storage is paramount. Never used the bells but make noise by whistling, singing, huming or talking to myself to let those big fur babies know I'm out there too. Had a couple of coon dogs run into camp once who had numbers painted on their back. These flea bags got in my tent and layed down on my sleeping bag. Closest encounter I've had with animals. I've paddled in Glacier Bay Alaska on several multi-week kayak trips and the only menace we had was the mosquitos.(Grizzlies were all around us). I think some folks are afraid of the dark, monsters and wild animals. In reality it's really not a problem in most areas we all camp-in in North America.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Toedtoes, Rik Peery and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    We have wolves, B bears, M lions and coyotes here. I"m quite happy to not have any more "run in's" with bears but nonetheless, we are out and in the woods lots. It doens't worry us and its a rare occasion that we see them. Life is to shorty to be huddled around the television and worry about whats outside........

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Many years ago my Uncle and Aunt were camping in the Smoky Mtns. the neighboring site campers were loud, belligerent and slobs even insulted the ranger, during the night when the drunks finally passed out, my Uncle and the ranger hung bacon on the neighbors tent, during the night a Bear came to visit, they figured the bear wanted, and got the bacon. When my Uncle and the ranger awoke the next morning the noisy campers were for some unknown reason, gone.

hayyward and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Active Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    While I get the humor of such a story, I find it extremely sad that a ranger would do something so irresponsible.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    You have to remember this was in the 40-50's things were different way back then, Than they are now

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Rik Peery and jnc like this.
  9. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Things for sure are different now, & not so much in a good way, so many folks are spoiled & have developed a me first mentality...the Ranger should have tossed their arse off the camp site, hate to see good bacon wasted...

10. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Ranger musn't been vegetarian otherwise a good smear of honey might have been the evil deed. Sounds like a couple of hooligans. Your uncle must have been a hoot.

Rik Peery likes this.
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Active Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Except this took place in those "good old days" when folks were considerate and concerned. The campers were rude and disruptive and the ranger put the entire campground at risk playing a childish game instead of being an adult and dealing with the problem properly.

I do agree he should have kicked them out of the campground.

12. BBQdave

BBQdave Member

Aug 31, 2016
    North Carolina
    Whether camping or in my neighborhood, I am amazed by folks who are self absorbed. And often think what would have happened to me as a kid if I would have behaved that way. Often think now a days, what would my Grandparents have done to remedy a problem.

Great story, and belligerent bad behavior does not deserve kindness or tolerance.