Black Bear Season

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Orchid, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    We've been charged by a black bear before. From that experience let me state, when that happens the last thing on your mind is getting out the bear spray, wondering why the little bells work or didn't, or dropping a bandana so others can later find you. None of the smart idea's come to the front when it happens. It was a rather BIG boy who came at us, maybe 400-500lbs. It seems he couldn't smell us, so he charge past us to "see or smell" what you are. All that came to our mind was RUN! And he ran past and into the woods. All in fun (cleaning out pants)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    hayyward and Toedtoes like this.
  2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Can I bring a salt lick and put it in the loud people's site? That would take care of both problums?

4. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Having wilderness camped all my adult life with backpacking, canoeing and kayaking, I've had very few animal encounters. I've always hung my food from trees or use bear barrels when paddling. Kitchen etiquette as in proper food and trash storage is paramount. Never used the bells but make noise by whistling, singing, huming or talking to myself to let those big fur babies know I'm out there too. Had a couple of coon dogs run into camp once who had numbers painted on their back. These flea bags got in my tent and layed down on my sleeping bag. Closest encounter I've had with animals. I've paddled in Glacier Bay Alaska on several multi-week kayak trips and the only menace we had was the mosquitos.(Grizzlies were all around us). I think some folks are afraid of the dark, monsters and wild animals. In reality it's really not a problem in most areas we all camp-in in North America.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    We have wolves, B bears, M lions and coyotes here. I"m quite happy to not have any more "run in's" with bears but nonetheless, we are out and in the woods lots. It doens't worry us and its a rare occasion that we see them. Life is to shorty to be huddled around the television and worry about whats outside........

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Many years ago my Uncle and Aunt were camping in the Smoky Mtns. the neighboring site campers were loud, belligerent and slobs even insulted the ranger, during the night when the drunks finally passed out, my Uncle and the ranger hung bacon on the neighbors tent, during the night a Bear came to visit, they figured the bear wanted, and got the bacon. When my Uncle and the ranger awoke the next morning the noisy campers were for some unknown reason, gone.

hayyward and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    While I get the humor of such a story, I find it extremely sad that a ranger would do something so irresponsible.

bluelily and Orchid like this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    You have to remember this was in the 40-50's things were different way back then, Than they are now

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Rik Peery and jnc like this.
  9. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Things for sure are different now, & not so much in a good way, so many folks are spoiled & have developed a me first mentality...the Ranger should have tossed their arse off the camp site, hate to see good bacon wasted...

bluelily and Orchid like this.
  10. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Ranger musn't been vegetarian otherwise a good smear of honey might have been the evil deed. Sounds like a couple of hooligans. Your uncle must have been a hoot.

Rik Peery likes this.
  11. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    Except this took place in those "good old days" when folks were considerate and concerned. The campers were rude and disruptive and the ranger put the entire campground at risk playing a childish game instead of being an adult and dealing with the problem properly.

I do agree he should have kicked them out of the campground.

Orchid likes this.
  12. BBQdave

BBQdave Member

Aug 31, 2016
    North Carolina
    Whether camping or in my neighborhood, I am amazed by folks who are self absorbed. And often think what would have happened to me as a kid if I would have behaved that way. Often think now a days, what would my Grandparents have done to remedy a problem.

Great story, and belligerent bad behavior does not deserve kindness or tolerance.

13. JunieB

JunieB Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Last camped out in FL in spring break season. Bad campers next door-- a family, but kept yelling at their kids; put their big tent up on the protected wiregrass area outside their tent area (prohibited in the written rules) and had to move it after ranger came by, etc. Their first morning-- they get up and say a RACCOON stole the BACON out of their cooler left out all night, of course. I surely hope it was just a raccoon. I tried to explain to them, food precautions you need to take in the wild. Lock it up. Put the cooler in the car.

14. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    I had a neighboring mother at a campground tell her 6-8 year old son just to poop in the bush. She couldn't be bothered to walk with up 3 sites to the bathroom. And, no she did not clean up after her mutt afterwards.

I do have to state for the record that this sef-absorbed, narcissistic attitude isn't about kids. It is a product of the current society not of the way they are raised. There are just as many people of every generation behaving this way - because society says MY rights override YOUR rights. I have also met kids who have been nothing but considerate, kind, and courteous.

I always laugh when folks blame it on the generation and the parents for raising their kids wrong. Ummm, who exactly raised those parents - oh right, your generation. So why couldn't you raise your kid right so he/she would raise their kids right? When does the blame game stop. Why are you complaining about this generation being selfish while you run your generator beyond posted hours and let your dog run loose? Oh right, because YOU are special but no one else is. Hmmm, generational - don't think so.

15. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Columbiaville, Michigan
    The problem with that is that our children didn't have the chance to raise their children the way that they were raised. My oldest granddaughter came home from school the first day and told her mom " my teacher said if you spank me, you will go to jail". That's the problem with some of the kids, a large lack of understanding right from wrong.

Rik Peery likes this.
  16. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    We are going camping next week at Green Meadows Camping Area . The wife is nervous because a bear climbed up our truck to smell the clam shell cargo carrier on the roof, while we were sleeping. . He must of thought it looked like a cooler. There were bear prints all over the back window and you can see where the bear stepped on the tire and also claw scratches on the roof. The truck was parked about six feet from our camper.

hayyward and jnc like this.
  17. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I don't believe that a ranger would hang bacon from a tent even in the 1950s. Your Uncle either made up the whole story or added the ranger so he doesn't look like a jerk.Most stories like this are people fantasies. What time would the drunks of passed out and why would the ranger be waiting with your uncle. Why would the ranger sit at your uncles campsite waiting for them to pass out when he could just kick them out. Was the ranger sleeping with your uncle? Makes no sense.

18. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    LMAO...never figured I'd see POST POLICE on a freakin' camper site...who gives a gnat's backside??? Guess a cyber polygraph should be administered for any future stories... 37629945_2160975220628265_1596352658598264832_n.jpg

19. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    So, because Mom can't spank the kid, the kid can't be raised to know right from wrong? Sorry, not buying that. I know many many many "kids these days" who know right from wrong without having been spanked. And I know many many older folks who never "learned" right from wrong regardless of their parent's outlook on spanking.

We try so hard to simplify these things down into a "this is the reason", when the truth is there are so many factors that contribute to it.

bluelily likes this.
  20. BBQdave

BBQdave Member

Aug 31, 2016
    North Carolina
    And I believe that is an indicator of a larger issue, responsibility.

Whichever style of teaching or raising your children, teaching them responsibility is important. And that is a challenge in today's climate of no - consequence and it's someone else's responsibility.

I'm on the fence about this, because frankly the more folks that do not take responsibility, depend on others or depend on the government - more opportunity for me. I feel sorry for them, but if they are going to purposefully engage in bad behavior and enslave themselves to others - I might as well benefit from them, rather than carry them.

I work with my kids and help in youth programs. I think the greatest gift you can give a child is to teach them self reliance. Respect themselves and afford that same respect to others.

If your an adult, and do not have the simple understanding of respect for yourself and others, you will be used by someone.

Lloyd B and Rik Peery like this.