Black Rock Mountain SP

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by shaw988, Aug 23, 2012.

1. shaw988

shaw988 New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    I have reservations for Black Rock SP for the first full w/e of October. I have seen some 'fair" reviews of this CG. I have a Tundra and a Fleetwood Sequoia, so there are no issues towing. However, from what I read there are some close quarters for maneuvering and camping. It's my 50th birthday that w/e and my wife, daughter and son (15 yr old twins) are going. Should I look elsewhere?

Any feedback is appreciated.

2. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Aug 2, 2009
    Hilton Head, SC
    We camped there a couple of years ago. While we were there a truck lost its transmission trying to haul a fifth wheel up the mountain. The campground host used his truck to finish the job while a tow truck hauled the other one into town.
    As for the sites, many can be very difficult to back into. We were PUP novices at the time and my husband didn't have too much trouble backing into the site we chose. The park itself was very nice and the views were awesome. They have potlucks on Thursday nights, and when we were there they were prepping to build an activity center. You do have to travel down the mountain to get to the lake. That isn't very handy if you like to fish.
    The colors should be beautiful that weekend. I would go!

3. shaw988

shaw988 New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I think we are going to stay with the plan.
    Many thanks!

4. carolinacampers

Aug 2, 2009
    Hilton Head, SC
    I forgot to mention-being at the end of the Smokey Mountain Range, often in the morning you'll get the "smokey" effect. And the sunsets are just gorgeous!
    Have a nice trip!

5. tweeker155

tweeker155 New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    shaw988,

I read your post where you mentioned Black Rock Mountain SP. I wasn't familiar with that park or the campground, so, that got me doing some internet searching. One thing led to another and, well, I know where we'll be spending our second outing in our PU. I just booked a (3) night stay there for the second weekend in October. Looks like a great place to camp. We're looking forward to seeing N. Georgia's fall colors. Hope you enjoy your birthday weekend trip.

6. carolinacampers

Aug 2, 2009
    Hilton Head, SC
    tweeker155, you're gonna love it! We were watching Georgia traveler last night and they were talking about BRMSP. My husband turned to me and said, "We need to go back there!"

If the both of you frequently camp in the GA state parks, look into the "Friends" program. There are different levels of membership but we always do the family level, where you get two free nights of camping, plus 10% off every camping trip.

Another perk is the frequent campers RV club. Fill up your log with 9 stickers (nine nights of camping) and get one night free!

7. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Hope you have great trip and enjoy your b-day W/e! Happy camping!

8. shaw988

shaw988 New Member

Sep 11, 2011
    You are all the best! Thanks for your feedback. I'll post a review after my stay.

9. gk4n6guy

gk4n6guy New Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Can anyone comment on the elevation of the approach to the park? I've never visited Black Rock before and I don't know how steep the drive up will be. I'm confident my towing vehicle can handle the ascent, I just want to be prepared.

Thanks!

10. undara12

undara12 New Member

Mar 25, 2016
    Fleetwood Santa Fe and Toyota 4 Runner made it up the mountain fine. Camp host and staff were great. For August, it was unusually cool. Mushrooms were in full bloom.

Is it OK to respond to an old post?