Blanchard Springs Cave and Recreation Area *PIC HEAVY*

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by CampFamily14, Jun 12, 2018.

1. CampFamily14

CampFamily14 New Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Northern Alabama
    This is a primitive campground only, but I'm posting it here, because it's an amazing place, and you can fit PUPs in the two group campgrounds. All of the other campsites are for tents only, and none of them have any hookups of any kind (There are standard water spigots.). There is also no dump station. The group campsites can be reserved. The standard tent sites can not.

SO, this is the place to go if you have at least seven people who want to "rough it" for a few days!

Blanchard Springs is on the Ozark National Forest in northern Arkansas. The closest town is Mountain View, which has several tourist attractions including a ropes course and the Ozark Folk Center State Park, which is a living education center (lots of artisans, activities for kids, and live bluegrass music http://www.ozarkfolkcenter.com/ . It also has a really neat dulcimer shop.

The recreation area itself is on the small side, but packed with beautiful sites. There is a cavern directly off of group campsite 1, with open access. There are walking trails, one of which leads back to the spring itself. There is also a large cave system with several types of tours and a gift shop. http://www.blanchardsprings.org/ Mirror Lake is quite pretty and has a long wooden walkway you can fish from.

The Sylamore was the largest draw for us. The water is crystal clear and cool all the way to the bottom. Most of it is shallow (not more than knee deep), but there are two excellent swimming holes where the water gets up to 10-12 feet deep. Kids love to jump off of the cliffs along the side (although it's technically not allowed). It was deep enough for our kid kayak, but there really wasn't anywhere to go in the adult one since the water is mostly shallow.

We stayed in group camp I, and it was marvelous. It's right along the creek and very shady. We stayed cool even in the middle of July. Each group site is level, and has multiple picnic tables, lantern hooks, and fire pits. I strongly suggest Group Camp I if you have more than one PUP (It's larger and more open.).

I found deer nearly every morning, and we saw a wood chuck, a snake (away from us), and lots of tadpoles, fish, and crawdads. Bring a snorkel and net for your kiddos!

The bathrooms/showers are okay. Not the best, because the floor was covered in tiny, crunchy caterpillars at night (This may have been a temporary issue. I haven't seen complaints anywhere else). They were totally worth the hassle of staying in such a neat, peaceful place. I can't recommend this area enough!

2. CampFamily14

CampFamily14 New Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Northern Alabama
    I'm sorry. we were in Group Site II. You can fit one, *maybe* two PUPS in there. It's really designed for large tents.