1. peter moyes

peter moyes Active Member

Feb 6, 2018
    ,hello campers and fisher people...i have a 2000 coleman sedona ,,i also have a 12 ft aluminum boat ,it weighs i think like 450 lbs ,,,i am sure i cant put that on a roof rack ,,the others mounted to the frame look expensive ,,any ideas to make something with pvc pipe ,front and back ?or is it a crazy idea lol
    also i want to put back up lights on it for parking at night ,,how would i wire them up ..i bought a big orange l.e.d.battery operated light ,with a very strong magnet .just in case of break down at night ,,2 of these ,with clear lenses would work good to ...,i am a newbee lol

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Can't help you much, but the biggest question is, would 450 pounds put you overweight on your axle? Before you even consider this, I suggest to weigh your camper as is ready for a trip less the boat and see exactly where you stand. Many will be surprised how much heavier they really are.
    Personally I don't think PVC pipe could hold up under the weight of the boat much less wind hitting it when driving.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    450 lbs is a lot of weight, maybe a lighter boat, if you do get a rack you have to get the boat up on the rack. I use a ladder rack on my Pickup for my yak or solo canoe either of these weigh less that 60 lbs. and as stated I do not think PVC would be good as a rack
    I also do not think that 450 lbs on the top of the PUP would be w good idea either as it would probably put a heck of a strain on the axle and tires. Good luck and Happy Camping

4. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    Maximum roof load on a Coleman/Fleetwood is 300lbs closed, 150lbs open including AC. A 450lbs boat is way over your roof limit.

5. peter moyes

Feb 6, 2018
    yes i agree thank you

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    For just tooling around look for a cheapo blow up kyack. I have one verry happy with it. While i havent used it for fishing, if its just you there is plenty of room. Mine has been going strong for over 10 years now. Cost of maybe 200 dollers.

Attached Files:

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    . Kind of along the same lines, sea eagle makes an inflatable 4 person boat complete with engine. Although that can be pricey new.

8. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    Unless your boat has a deck, it probably weighs about 250, still too heavy for a plastic rack. Unless you are experienced with wiring, I wouldn't tap into trailer or tow vehicle lighting systems which can be finicky. Just rig a temporary two wire cable that has alligator clamps and runs from your trailer battery (or cigarette lighter) over the top of the camper to the lights held to your trailer bumper with magnets. Take them off and stow when you get backed in.

9. peter moyes

Feb 6, 2018
    i have decided to sell my 12ft boat ,and get a zodiac or another good make like avon etc ,i saw one near me ..700 bucks ,the good ones are very expensive ,,but they are sweeeeeeeeet lol

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. peter moyes

Feb 6, 2018
    any other pup owners can give me advice on used inflatables ?seems to me zodiac and avons mercury are the best ..but pricey ,i have decided to buy a cheap used one ,,but a good name brand ,i will get 400 bucks for my 12 ft tinny its like new ...i got a sedona pup and had the idea of putting my boat on the roof ,but its way to heavy .................still looking for a used roof rack for my pup ...now winter is round the corner ,pups boats etc get cheaper ..