Boodocking and Hunting the Denali Hwy

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by generok, Sep 3, 2017.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I FINALLY got my way and we used the PUP as a hunting base camp AND we had a successful caribou hunt!

My hunting partner wants to rough it in tents, but I think I won him over with a nice warm and dry PUP. I have to give big credit to the new Group 27 battery! It ran the furnace for two nights of near and below freezing temps. It even snowed on it, and we were very warm and comfortable, even in the 20 mph wind! Oh man, what a good time. We had warm meals and had a place to sit and eat out of the wind, and slept on a level soft surface and not in our full clothes! SWEET!

Our campsite was just an eyebrow off the side of the Denali Highway about 30 miles in. At least it was only about 10 miles of gravel too.

I busted my fresh water drain valve off though, so I will need to get a new one on it soon. I won't put water in it for the rest of the season anyway, but I need to fix it.

A great trip.

[​IMG]

Mausinn likes this.
  2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Glad you had a good experience. Should you have food in the pup in that area?

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I figure the 150 lbs of meat hanging in the air 50 yards away was a bigger draw than the remnant scent of MREs and warmed chili eaten the the PUP. It's not a huge bear area, but they are around. Even with the meat hanging all night, we never got bothered, but I had things next to me as I slept that night.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Good. I once saw a bear trading another bear an MRE for a two day old bagel.