Boon docking Shawnee National Forest for Solar Eclipse

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by smhartman, Jul 16, 2017.

1. smhartman

smhartman Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Hi,
    Anyone boon docking for the eclipse? I was wondering if a minivan and popup would be doable for 3 nights in the forest? Any help or suggestions welcomed.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Define "doable"

3. smhartman

smhartman Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Good question. We need to park and sleep for 3 nights, Friday - Monday. It would be great if we can get water before lifting the popup. We don't need electric. It would be a no frills get away just so we can see the once in a lifetime solar eclipse.

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    So, yes - it's doable (theoretically anyway). You'll want to fill up with water before you come. All you have to do is to drive the roads until you find a site suitable for you. You're allowed to camp anywhere that isn't already developed, or isn't private property, but figuring out what is and isn't pp can be a challenge. I'm 100% sure it will be extremely crowded for the eclipse, and it will probably start filling up early in the week (like Wed-ish). I would suggest you call headquarters to get more info from them. You can get contact info here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/shawnee/about-forest/offices

5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Gee, I have to ask, "why would this not be doable"?

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Member

Mar 22, 2016
    We'll be boondocking in Casper Wyoming, Saturday through Monday.......................well, technically but not really.
    My wife's best-friend's Uncle is letting us set up on his Farm property...............We'll be "Self-Contained" for the weekend :)

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    If you only have one battery and incandescent automotive type DC Lights you will find out real quick that one has to really watch running your high wattage lights at night. Also if it gets cold at night running your propane furnace that has a DC Fan on it will really eat up you battery. Rule of thumb for this is one night one battery running the 4-6AMP DC Blower Fan...

If it were me i would try all of this out in your back yard for three nights as it you was camping in the Natl Forest. This will give you a good idea what you may run up against and what supplies you should bring with you...

We camp alot OFF-GRID and love to do outdoor things during the day which is not much of load on our batteries but starting around 6PM each evening we usually start drawing around 20 amps of DC Current running the things we want to run... This is a pretty heavy load that most folks will not do but it works for us as we have beefed up our converter/charger and battery bank and run LED lights everywhere. We also run a 600WATT PSW inverter at half load (around 300WAtts capacity) to run a few electric items we have that includes HDTV from 6PM to 11PM each evening. I like to run my Ham Radio items in the evening and get on the internet to be checking in with the kids, paying a few bills, and do some internet surfing...

For us this draws down our battery bank to it 50% charge state (appx 12.0VDC) by 6Am the next morning. This is running almost everything we run at electric sites except for Air Conditioning or high wattage Microwave use. We also do not run our propane furnace for heat as well... Then the next morning around 8AM we fire up our 2KW Generator with the shore power cable connected to it and re-charge our battery bank for three hours each morning starting at Breakfast... Then we are good to go for the next day/night run off the batteries... This is sometimes not authorized at the camp site depending where you are at to run a generator so if you want to be doing this you have to know where and when you can do this... Been doing this 2009 and have figured out all of the downsides on how to camp in this situation. It is all second nature to us now at this point...

Just showing up in the woods and expecting everything to work for you is almost guaranteed failure after the first night haha...

It took some planning and beefing up a few things for us at any rate...

My greatest thing for us is waking up in the cool mornings way back off-road somewhere to a nice bon-fire creekside and drinking my good fresh ground and brewed bean coffee and watching the fish jump in the creek... For us it doesn't get any better than this...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

8. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Member

Jun 11, 2014
    So will you be up on Casper MNT?? We have a buddy who works up there..

9. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Member

Mar 22, 2016
    I honestly am not sure which part of Casper we will be staying?
    We've never been to the property yet.
    We'll be meeting my wife's best-friend and her family in Cheyenne, then travelling up to Casper to her Uncle's farm together.
    They are staying in their 5th-wheel. We'll be in the Popup.