Breaks scrapping drum

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Sjm9911, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Ok so I went to re grease my bearings, and noticed that the breaks pads, I think, are slightly rubbing on the drum. I was thinking as it sat for maybe 5 or so years something froze up. Would it be advisable to just take everything out and re set it? The ellectric emergency break was tested and it reset after I put the pin back in it. Also, I haven't worked on drum breaks in like 30 years, lol. And ideas where to start would be apreatiated.

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Since it has sat for 5 years, the drums have rusted and that is probably what you are hearing or the drag you are feeling. Also since it has sat that long the wheels need to come off for bearing maintaince, then you can inspect the brakes

Sjm9911 and WVhillbilly like this.
  3. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Ah, that makwe sense . Lol, I will repack the other bearing put the new wheels on and knock off the dust with a ride. Ty.

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I believe that drum brakes are supposed to drag just a touch when they are setup correctly.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    When you say you went to re grease the bearing, you did have the wheels off...rite??

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Lol, yes. I did. The breaks looked ok. Drums were rusted pretty good, i didnt check the inside but scraped off the top layer on the out side.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    When I bought my camper my electric breaks apparently froze and heated everything up because the drums were so badly rusted. That's when I realized the previous owner's "garage kept" was a load of crock. Although truth be told I suspected it. My machanic told me there was no way to clean it up. That even though the break pad itself was not bad. There is a part that tells the breaks to release that can get stuck once in awhile because of the rust. I had to replace the drums and whole break assemblly for both wheels. I could only go by what the mechanic said, but I'll tell you it felt like my hubs were on fire when I first realized I had a serious problem. I'm very thankful I didn't drive far and even better an RV shop was within 10 min from the campground. I Don't know much about wheels or breaks but from what the mechanic told me, I'm dang lucky I caught it when I did. I would buy a temperature gage so you can keep track of the hub temperature so you know things aren't overheating. If they are you will probably have to do something with the drums.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I can definitely see that as a problum, and I've read about electric breaks not releasing. I did test the emergency disconnect. With the wheel off, and drum, I disconnected the safety switch (just installed)on the front of the trailor. This activated the magnet in the break system. I tested it by puting something metel to it. I then reinstalled the tab in the safety switch to make sure the magnet disengaged . Only learned this from you tube and this site. So I'm learning, just a bit slowly as there is so much stuff to know! And a temp gun is a smart move from what I've been reading. You can hopefully fix a small problum. Before it becomes big!

9. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    You could take the drums in to have them turned. A good guy will take a slight cut and freshen up the surfacing. There is a lot of meat on these drums. Most rear drums for cars are "one and done" drums. Cheaper to toss before turning them. NAPA or Oriellys still do them at most shops.

10. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I think that's a lost art! I remember do8ng that in high school auto class!

J Starsky likes this.
  11. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    It is, it is. You have to ask them if they have an old dude that's turn something recently. Even go to a truck repair shop, they can handle it.

Things like 1 ton trucks, box trucks, tractors, trailers, most rear drive applications - they still make them thick enough to take a turn or two. Modern rotors are at the thickness limits when produced, adding to our toss away automotive world. They make good scrap though.