Buffalo NY to Tampa FL

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by united1889, Nov 9, 2017.

1. united1889

united1889 New Member

I'm looking for an alternative route to Tampa from Buffalo. I want to try and avoid the Appalachian mountains as we will be heavy and I don't want to put the extra strain on my van, but I do not want to add alot of time to my trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    There are no mountains on I95 although you will have to get there first. You are going to hit a heck of a lot of traffic on 95 and will need to find alternates around the tunnels and I think there are a couple bridges that don't allow propane as well. That's the only way I'm familiar. I'm curious the responses as I am considering such a trip next year.

3. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    I-95 is a real traffic headache [:(O], especially around Baltimore :eek:, Washington :mad: & Richmond :confused:. Should you choose that to be your primary route, plan to pass there in the night or at least well outside the rush hours (which never seems to end). Avoiding the mountains means you'll miss a great deal of traffic & beautiful scenery - but I sympathize with your desire to keep your TV intact for the long haul. We love US 219 but there are >12-degree inclines!
    [2C]: Check with your Google map. When we head your way from Hampton Roads, VA here is our work around (from your perspective):
    --Option 1: At Harrisburg, PA pick up I-81 South to Winchester, VA. Take Rt 50 east until you get onto US 17 South - all the way to I-95 South at Fredericksburg, VA (some congestion). Slower yes, quieter certainly, more to look at. It's only longer if you don't hit any traffic LOL! [LOL] LOL!!! at the cities.
    [!] You'll notice I-66 East, but depending upon the time you're on it - it can be a trap. The traffic around Washington extends well outside anyone's imagination during rush hours.
    --Option 2: Stay on I-81 to I 64 East to miss Richmond too. Unfortunately, I-81 takes you west of the Blue Ridge mountains and you'll have to pull & coast down them on I-64 East to I-95 South.
    --Options exist for extending I-81 and or I-77 south toward I-95.

We'll be watching this site too because we'll still looking for the holy grail of northwest passages to NY, VT and Mass.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    jmkay1 likes this.
  4. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    My recollection is that 77 through the mountains/hills is not bad at all, only about 20 or so miles long and major inclines have tunnels that shoot straight through. You can confirm with google maps street view, and click the terrain option - or wait for some local knowledge to show up here. ;)

5. united1889

united1889 New Member

I have done the 79 to 77 to 95 lots of times, but this time the vehicle is going to be loaded and the trailer, I'm just not going to risk it. I was thinking about going to i71 to i75, any thoughts on that route

6. united1889

united1889 New Member

I have decided to go i71 to i75, i looked at topographic maps and the hills are small,booked my hotels, we are going to Lake Manatee State park for Christmas, so if anybody is there stop by, and thanks for all your input. We will report on the drive when we get home.

7. XKPin

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    . . .Atlanta. . . ?! :eek:

8. united1889

united1889 New Member

We should hit Atlanta on a Saturday morning, we are staying Friday night in Chattanooga so hopefully the traffic will not be that bad.

9. XKPin

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    Hope springs eternal. . . . Enjoy your trip, wish I was going.

10. united1889

united1889 New Member

Thanks

11. Franky219

Franky219 New Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Traffic is always bad in Atlanta! I hate driving thru there!!!

12. united1889

united1889 New Member

Maybe you will read about me on the news where a van and trailer just start ramming everyone to get out of the way. All joking aside I have never driven through Atlanta, I've done Manhattan on a Saturday night, DC at rush hour, and driven Toronto and Montreal at rush hour also. Hopefully I have a different story to tell then many others. Crossing my fingers.