Building my electrical center...

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by DFire2, Aug 23, 2017.

1. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    I'm in the finishing stages of my popup rebuild, (see link in signature). My electrical is completely new. I already have a breaker box installed for the 120vac shore power. But I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to do my 12vdc system. Do I build one using a step down transformer and diode bridge rectifier? Or buy something prebuilt?

Thoughts?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Boston, MA
    Buy a regular RV power center. New ones have a 3-stage battery charger and a 12V distribution fuse block.
    If you want to over kill it, use an RV power supply that would usually go into a power center and a marine breaker panel instead of fuses.

3. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

Feb 9, 2015
    ^ ^ ^ What he said. ^ ^ ^
    No one uses a x-fmr and bridge rectifier for DC supplies anymore. Everything has gone to switching power supplies. They take up FAR less space, weigh FAR less, and are WAY more efficient than an old school x-fmr and bridge rectifier for a given capacity.

I have one of these in my PUP
    https://www.amazon.com/WFCO-WF-8735...14Q4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1503494405&sr=8-3

They can be found elsewhere....

4. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Yeah, I already have a breaker box. Was just hoping to find a simple solution for 120 to 12. I don't currently have a battery, but plan on camping at sites with full power.

5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    You could switch your lights to LEDs and then all you would need is a low power Solid State 12V power supply.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Boston, MA
    What do you plan on running off 12V?
    If it isn't much and you never plan on having a battery, you could use a simple DC power supply.
    Like this one HERE
    But do not make the mistake of adding a battery and thinking you can just tie it into your 12V power supply.

But I agree with the above. An RV power converter is really your best bet.

7. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Currently the only thing running off 12v is the basic ceiling lights that are original. So probably a very simple 12v power adapter would work.

Same exact thing.

I have some 12v 1a power adapters around here somewhere, should be enough for some basic lights.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Boston, MA
    If you go this route...
    With all your lights in place, connect a 12V battery and measure their running current.
    If the 12V adapter you have in mind is rated above that (by at least 50%), then connect the lights to it. Check the output voltage with them running and with them off. There are a lot of 12V "adapters". Make sure your's isn't really a 15V adapter with an open circuit and a 10.5V adapter under load.
    If your 1A adpater is being loaded to 1A, it will get hot and have a short life.
    This one is a little cheaper (5A, not 30A) https://www.amazon.com/QUANS-Univer...03519061&sr=1-14&keywords=12v+5a+power+supply
    Its open frame and higher rating will allow it to run cooler.

9. DFire2

DFire2 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Central Michigan
    Thanks, this looks about right!

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    a ole battery charger will work, got one hanging around?