Bunk end supports

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by Barons, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Barons

Barons New Member

Our support poles under the bunk ends do not offer enough support. After one night of 2 adults sleeping on the queen side, one bracket completely pulled out of the bunk. the other is severly bent. Would longer poles and a wider span be an option? What have you used to support the beds? Btw...it's a 2008 Skamper. Where do I get new brackets? What are they called, so I know what to search?

2. Justin Murray

Justin Murray New Member

Depending on where you live there a few options. If your in the states check out hannarv.com. If your in Canada check out colemanpopupparts.com/ I have found them to have the best stock.

3. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

I use 2 cargo bars that I bought at Harbor freight as extra support. In my case it was just to eliminate the bouncing of the trailer every time one of us moved but it also gives peace of mind that there is extra support there.

98AF97FB-84B5-426A-89BD-AE23A5EB816F.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

@Barons
    Not sure if it could have been the same on yours, but on my old Jayco the queen bunk used 4 braces. Two that created a shelf for the bed to rest on and the other two further back to brace the end. Do you know if you were given all the poles for set up? Can’t help but wonder if something is missing. Stock bunk end braces shouldn’t be doing that if used correctly. As for getting replacement, I wonder if you can reach out to a dealership that sells scampers and ask if there is a way you can order more braces.

5. Barons

Barons New Member

Thank you, I was actually wondering the same thing. But each end only had two brackets and no holes in the wood where more should have been.

6. Barons

Barons New Member

Thank you, I thought of that too, but didn't know what those were called. So I couldn't really shop for them. Lol

7. Barons

Barons New Member

Thank you

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

On my Jayco the two brackets that created a shelf actually didn’t have the brackets on the bunk end itself but on the front of the camper and on the frame on the tongue. However I really don’t know your camper to know if the setup is the same.

MaeKay likes this.
  9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

X2 what JMKAY1 says.... Look for additional slots under the trailer for additional support poles you may not have... Mine popup trailer uses four support poles under both bed ends... two long and two shorter...

The rear bumper has four tent support pole slots...
    [​IMG]

My front support poles are different as I have a front deck on my setup..
    [​IMG]
    Google images

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I was just looking at this photo online of the 2008 Scamper... Don't know if this is your model or not... Surprised to see only two support poles for the rear bunk bed...

[​IMG]
    google image

I would certainly beef that up somehow... This would be great for kids but not so great for us grown ups... That screw jack shown on here probably not a bad idea haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

11. bheff

bheff Active Member

My 2011 Flagstaff and 2016 Flagstaff each only had 2 support poles on each end. I would be very leery of using a support that went from the bed to the ground. While it will prevent the bed from moving, it wont keep the camper from moving. Preventing one part from moving while the other moves is a recipe for something breaking

12. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

The stabilizers should keep the trailer from moving and I really can't think of what could break. The bed rails have enough flex where they shouldn't be a problem. So far they haven't been a problem for me. But I could be wrong use your own judgement.

13. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

When we first got our 2005 Viking we felt the bunk end was uneven. We realized the next night we hadn’t installed the 3rd and 4th Pole. Once those were installed the bunk was MUCH more stable. As jmkay said, ours didn’t appear to hook onto the wood either but had a peg on the frame they attached to. Try searching for YouTube videos of your model, either sales videos that at least show them setup (although those can be sketchy sometimes) or a how to video. Often there’s owners manuals in a link at the top of the forum.