Bunk Ply Replacement (Unfortunately)

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by Bamabrat, Sep 9, 2018.

  1. Bamabrat

    Bamabrat Member

    66
    25
    Jul 23, 2018
    Smyrna, GA
    While taking down "Minion" from his first tour of duty, my wife noticed the left curved bed rail came out of the ply due to rot. We got him home and reopened for closer inspection. All 4 curved bracket ends are pulling out of the ply on both bunks. The bunks also sag in the middle and scrape the top of the box during setup or take down. Decided to replace one end this weekend and tackle the other side another weekend.

    Ours has rivets. Lots of rivets. Took a while to get them all drilled out, mark location of everything on bunk end with a sharpie, and remove stops. Our original ply was .5 inch so went with 19/32 with plan to sand / hammer the aluminium edge shaped like a "C" to reinstall. Our bunks are queen, so i had to lay 2 pieces of 4x8 side by side and draw shape of original, then use PL400 to join them. Over seam i used underlayment wood (local orange box didnt stock launa). Will update thread as it comes together.
    Thought it would be helpful to others to have a step by step for this project. I looked at 10+ threads and then formulated my plan. 20180908_122316.jpg 20180908_181320.jpg 20180908_100026.jpg
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Bamabrat

    Bamabrat Member

    66
    25
    Jul 23, 2018
    Smyrna, GA
    Hmm...pics are out of order but you can see the bunk before everything was removed then the last pic is the new joined piece. Let glue dry last night. After church today will flip over and install other underlayment piece over seam on opposite side. Will replace all rivets if possible for better hold. Do not plan on putting a center piece back on underside, but if someone thinks it's necessary, please advise. Here are a couple of before pics that didn't upload.

    Btw, our original ply is 72 3/8 × 59.
     

    Attached Files:

  3. Bamabrat

    Bamabrat Member

    66
    25
    Jul 23, 2018
    Smyrna, GA
    Yesterday on bottom of new bunk ply, finished gluing strip over seam of ply pieces, replaced pull out handles, cleaned and reinstalled wooden stop piece, velcro, side buckles, and drilled holes for Lshaped stop brackets. Reattached side "C" channel pieces, riveted them in, and on top, riveted curved bar and metal piece on end into place.

    The wife helped me put into position and it fit perfectly.

    Now only 2 pieces remain...i need to install the brackets for the metal bars connected to rear bumper and I'm done. Just a few more pieces.

    Side note. Consider the side rails before cutting the piece over the seam. I didnt. Had to cut with razor and pry with flat head
     

    Attached Files:

  4. Bamabrat

    Bamabrat Member

    66
    25
    Jul 23, 2018
    Smyrna, GA
    Finished last night. In a few places (metal "stop" L-brackets & underneath where poles attach to plywood) had to use nuts, bolts, washers, and thread locker because the rivets were not long enough. Very pleased with the results. The new bunk is much easier on my back and makes the PUP canvas not as droopy.
     
  5. Bamabrat

    Bamabrat Member

    66
    25
    Jul 23, 2018
    Smyrna, GA
    Finished replacing other side with new ply. Curved bunk bar had come out.
     

    Attached Files:

Share This Page