Bunk seal replacement.

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Riveyman, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Apr 15, 2014
    NC
    Well, it's been the whole summer and I finally replaced the bunk seals on my [HY].
    After doing a ton of research I finally ordered the seal from the web site Uni Grip for $2 per foot.
    It took about 2 weeks to get it because they didn't have it available in stock.
    Needed 15 feet for each end, so to be safe ordered an extra foot. So $64 plus shipping.
    Wife and I spent a good 4 hours cutting, pulling and scraping to get the old seal off. The adhesive wasn't giving up easily.
    After cutting a majority of the seal off, we ended up using mineral spirits and an old pvc pipe with an angled cut to scrape the rest of the glue off. Trying not to scrape the paint.

It's finally done and we washed the hybrid and checked for leaks. All was good, so far. Haven't had any rain yet so will check once that happens.

Attached Files:

Orchid likes this.
  2. roc87

roc87 New Member

Jul 26, 2015
    You guys did a very fine job!did that seal have the thick strong adhesive similar to what was there?that stuff was crazy hard to get off...it reminded me of what they use to seal car windshields lol

3. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Apr 15, 2014
    NC
    Thanks Roc, It was pretty sticky stuff. I had the wife hold the seal and slowly pull the red tape off the adhesive. I used both hands to direct it where I wanted it. As soon as it touched the metal it was stuck. Really hard to get it re-positioned.

Here is a close up pic of what I got.

Attached Files:

Dusty road likes this.
  4. roc87

roc87 New Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Thanks for posting,I think I may follow suit and redo mine with the product that you have.the seal that they gave me works,but it's a lot bigger than what was there from the start.thanks again

5. Nicolas Tremblay

Nicolas Tremblay New Member

Jun 6, 2017
    Hi, do you have the part number you used for the new seal? I have the exact same job to do and I can't decide on what seal number to use.

Judimuschi likes this.
  6. Judimuschi

Judimuschi New Member

Apr 14, 2018
    I’d be interested in the part number, as well. We are about to embark on this repair, too.

7. roc87

roc87 New Member

Jul 26, 2015
    I actually went with a seal that i got off of amazon.i installed it early last summer and i am pleases with it so far.it was 32.99 for the roll that did one bunk end.it is Trim-Lok rubber seal EPDM closed cell rubber with HT adhesive(high tack).i went with .38 inch thick by .50 inch wide.they do have multiple sizes to choose from

ccpopup and RugerRedhawk like this.
  8. Anthony Baldwin

Anthony Baldwin New Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Would love to have the part number as well please. My seals are the exact same as yours. I believe the measurements on mine are 5/8" wide where it sticks to the trailer and 5/8" high at its highest point on the round.