Bunkend lower seal

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by neighbormike, Oct 9, 2017.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    IMG_0384.JPG Lower seal (poorly made to start with) tore while packing up today... Anybody replaced these yet?? Looking for some ideas... found one thread on it but didn't care for the "fix".

2. TRR

TRR Active Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Alabama USA
    On my PUP, that 'seal' is attached to the bottom of the indoor end of each bunk and hangs down an inch or so. When the bunks are slid out the seal on each bunk winds up pressed against the indoor top edge of the end wall. Having the seal always inside the camper attached to the bunk rather than the wall keeps there from being constant wear on the seal each time the bunk slides in and out.

Perhaps a retrofit to achieve something similar would make your seals last longer.

3. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I may have to look into that... not sure having it attached to the box serves any other purpose than keeping cold air & bugs out when the beds are extended.

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I'm probably the one you didn't like the fix haha...

My OEM flimsy seal didn't hold up very after buying my trailer in late 2008. My seals were attached to the inside bottom front tent bed wood floor sections. My roof section has a lip that come down over the wall ends. I'm not sure what your ruber seal is attached to from your photo.

With the two tent beds pulled out I could bend over and look straight out at both tent bed ends from the inside of the trailer and see alot of day-light... Was letting in night bugs and mosquitoes inside big time when we setup with interior lights on.

I went the wall seal idea using one of these seals

[​IMG]

My outside walls were a bit different from your photo and i was able to get the rubber seal bottom lip to fit over the top of the wall. I sort of made a right angle of the bottom rubber section and glued the bottom of this lip shown here to the trailer wall section similar to your photo above. Laid a heavy 2x6 board over it all until the glue set I had to cut a couple areas of rubber seal sections where the tent bed bottom floor had a couple of support angles...

I did mine back in 2010 I think it was and it is still working great today... The original flimsy seal on the bottom of both tent bed ends finally snagged something inside the trailer and tore them off as the tent beds where being pulled in and out...

When I push-in the two tent bed ends and bring the roof down on them it all seals up good as well when tucking in everything and using the spring loaded latches on the four corners of the roof...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

6. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
  7. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Roy, your fix was not the one I saw... I too have the excessive air gap below the bunks so I would like to find a better product than OE...
    JPBar & Douggro I will check those links out as soon as I can!

8. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Ordered the "bed wiper seals" from Hanna RV today... if I don't like them I will probably look at the "D Seals" in the link Douggro provided.