Buying a travel trailer is virtually impossible.

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by Troy Dalton, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Troy Dalton

Troy Dalton Member

Post script...just when we had finally given up, we stumbled upon a local family owned dealer (Southside RV). I knew as soon as I'd met them that we were going to buy from them.

No salesman, just the owner, his wife, daughter and grand-daughter. The kind of people that you would be happy to see pull up next to you in a camp ground.

Super nice, knowledgeable and straight forward. Not even the least bit pushy and the best of all, they had exactly what we were looking for and no hidden costs.

My wife and I went back the very next day, just to confirm what we wanted and then took the whole family down to the finalize the deal on Saturday. There were a couple of additional items I wanted to include, like an outlet next to the bed on the floor, a rear receiver for a bike rack, a tray for dual LP and a rear camera. They said they could do all that and would only charge us for the cost of the item...no labor.

We can't wait to pick up our new camper and selling our old popup will be a sad day indeed, but we are so glad we found Southside RV!

Koalavan, Ductape, Redbird234 and 6 others like this.
  2. Troy Dalton

Troy Dalton Member

It wasn't the real asking price. They dropped the price so low that you'd think you were going to get a good deal, then they started tagging on some ubiquitous fees and I'm not talking about taxes and titles. There were thousands of dollars hidden in the "Dealer Prep" fees. Nothing illegal or fraudulent, just deceptive.

Dback2k4 and DJFav like this.
  3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you finally got you wanted.......The right trailer from the right people. Congrats.

Troy Dalton and DJFav like this.
  4. penny

penny Active Member

congratulations! I's nice when people know how to do business in a way that is respectful, reasonable and honest. we had honestly been looking for something for several years, on and off. I went shopping with my SIL for the camper they wanted. They got charged a fee that was technically for not financing! and were talked into buying about $1300 worth of hitch and towing stuff they didn't need and could have gotten on their own, elsewhere. When we sat down at a different dealer to try to work out a purchase, we were still dismayed and hopes deflated.

great to find a rv place like that!

Troy Dalton likes this.
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

download.jpeg Congratulations enjoy

6. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

hope you have many happy trips in your new camper!

Troy Dalton likes this.
  7. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Pics or it didn’t happen. I don’t make the rules, I just help enforce them.

LucythePUP, Troy Dalton and Takamine like this.
  8. Troy Dalton

Troy Dalton Member

lol...I totally agree. Pictures to follow.

emoney likes this.
  9. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Any time I talk price I ask "what's the out the gate price". If the price goes up even $1 I will get up and leave.

10. nrg2brn

nrg2brn Member

we sold our pup private party, because thats the only way to get decent money out of it. then we found the manufacturer and model we liked, no matter how far. we then negotiated over the phone. that failed. found another dealer 200 miles futher. got the right price. then we made a week out of getting it. DONT settle for the floorplan you only kind of like. it will wear off fast. lose the vacation days. get the right camper. it needs to be a long term committment. the money i lost in buying when it was convenient was stupid. wish i could take it back. get what you want. it only costs about 500 to get it shipped from half the country away.

11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Congrats of finding THE perfect unit for you and the family taking the time to look makes a big difference as some PUP's might be the exact opposite to the one that fits your needs. Good Luck and happy camping

12. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member