Camp Driveway as a refuge

Discussion in 'Camp Driveway' started by WeRJuliIan, Feb 5, 2017.

1. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    At about 3 am this morning, there was a loud bang, and the house went very quiet... apart from the insistent beeping of my UPS unit, telling me that I was on battery, because the power was out.
    I initially assumed that a transformer had blow - it's common around here, and FPL are getting very good at replacing them, so I just went back to sleep...
    We woke this morning to find that somebody had hit a power pole, hard enough to bring it down and leave cables all over the street.
    So, we went out for breakfast, came back, still no power, so we sat out in the back yard, lit the firepit and pretended to be camping.
    While we did so, we reviewed our options and realised that, in event of an extended outage, or a natural disaster, or the Zombie Apocalypse, we're in pretty good shape... even if we don't simply move into the pup, we have the cooking gear, the sleeping bags, the propane, the solar power, the generator... we'd actually be pretty nicely set, for a while, right there in Camp Driveway.

In fact, living in Florida, we have a (fairly informal) Hurricane Plan... which consists, largely, of "Hitch up the pup and keep driving until the noise stops..."

Does anyone else view their pup as a potential "lifeboat", or is it just me being paranoid ? :)

2. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    I do, the pup is not just recreation...

It can also be a guest room....

NothingsChocking likes this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    IIRC, there have been a couple of members in storm-prone areas with plans to use their campers as part of their escape plans.

While my parents didn't have a camper, I can remember my dad getting out the Coleman camp stove (we used it on road trips) and cooking with it when we had an extended power outage during a winter storm when I was about 5. Apparently they had done the same thing at our cottage when the remnants of a hurricane hit WNY when I was a baby. (The cottage had a wood stove. Funny thing is I don't remember how we kept warm in the winter storm, since we had a furnace that used power.)

We have long kept our lanterns located where we know how to get to them, and have the PETT toilet now in case the water goes out for long. Last summer, we ended up in the trailer for a couple of hours, when there was a major power outage one evening. It was never out long enough when we had the pups to bother cranking them open, but being able to just open the door for the TT was handy.

We had the TT at the KOA a couple of miles from our house while we had a new roof and stucco put our house. The first 3 or 4 nights, we had a regular campsite, since we knew we would be without a/c and have the tar smell to deal with while they did the roof. I think we ended up spending two nights sleeping there. After that, we moved it to a storage site.

4. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Active Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    I love hanging out in camp driveway went I can't go out camping in the woods. It's the next best thing. I could be comfortable for quite some time in my PUP should a disaster hit. As long as it wasn't a direct hit [:D]

5. aschumann

aschumann Get OUTSIDE!!

May 28, 2014
    We have thought about it as a refuge as well.... We do use it as guest quarters when we have friends or family over from a good distance away. We are lucky enough to be able to store the pup on our property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    I'm afraid if the zombie apocalypse occurs I will be looking for a hard sides, maybe an Airstream? Or vintage Winnebago like they had in the start of Walking Dead [;)]

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Same here. We have plenty of camping gear and a generator. During Superstorm Sandy (2012) we lost power for 7 days. Did not have a manual transfer switch at the time (do now) but at least the generator kept the sump pumps and fridge going. Also went thru a LOT of firewood in the living room fireplace. As for using it as a guest room, been there done that [LOL] [LOL]

8. 98Roamer

98Roamer Member

Oct 5, 2012
    It's our worst case scenario escape, our temp family visiting bedroom and adding our new AirBnB rental this year, since it's at our house.

9. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Texas
    During our Hurricane Gilbert evacuation from Corpus Christi, Texas when I was 8, my Grand parents loaded up us grandkids and my younger aunt into the dodge van and hitched up their TT and drove up to San Antonio to take refuge. My parents stayed behind at home. We ended up posting up in a Wal-Mart parking lot at first on the NW side, but left early the next morning when my grandfather found a park with vacancy just out of town (I think it was a Jellystone). Well the hurricane veered toward Mexico at the last minute and San Antonio got worse weather than Corpus from the storm. A tornado, (small one) touched down at the Wal-mart we were at the night before. Several small tornadoes were spawned from the outer bands of that storm in the area. We just got rain dumped while we were up there, not to mention, windy. Yea, their trailer served well -- if only it could of staved boredom and cabin fever during the event.

10. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    We love camp driveway. Especially our 16 year old. He goes out there with our dog just to hang out. I like sitting out there when it's raining. There's nothing like the sound of the rain on the pup. We have also used it as a guest room. It gives our guest privacy and a comfortable bed to sleep in instead of the couch.

11. inthedirt

inthedirt Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    I don't consider myself a "Prepper", but I also don't like having to rely on anyone for anything. So, I consider myself pretty well stocked for the occasional emergency. Well, after buying a new house and not knowing where our crap is, I found out the hard way last weekend I wasn't as prepared as I thought. We lost power just after our dinner guests left on Friday night. Was out for almost 4hrs. Could only find my camp LED lanterns, so at midnight, I'm on my phone ordering some products from Amazon.

My new house is already setup for a generator to attach to the main electrical panel. Has a plug ready and waiting so that all I have to do is shut off the city supply (main breaker) and start the gen. My generator is strong enough to run my 4200sqft house, heaters in all 5 garages, and also run the small 625sqft apartment that my renter occupies. Sounds great, right? Wrong. The generator is at my dad's house 4hrs away. We had to "rough" it until power came back on.

My wife was starting to freak out thinking that Trump had started WW3. We talked the whole time about what would happen in a true emergency. Living out of our Pup, using our place to bring extended family to, blah blah blah. What it made me realize is that I need to expand my solar projects and bring on a wind turbine, or two. They're getting cheaper every year!