Camp Stoves

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Pirate_Popup, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    Folks, We carry the largest made bottles into the field for work which is the 30 OZ MSR fuel bottles. These bottles rock for toughness and are pressure vessels so they don't leak. Exception is if the caps O ring fail :-(. We immediately replace the safety caps they come with, with normal ones. The only down side is 30 OZ isn't all that much fuel if you are boon-docking for days and/or heating water for showers. Boon-docking is what we do 90% the time. As others have stated, HDPE plastic is not bothering by gasoline fuels.

2. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    its big. its heavy.
    but i can BAKE dinner & dessert in an oven, & safely take a shower while its cooking.
    got scaffold bench to make legs. together, its normal counter height.
    got the hose that connects to second big propane tank.
    then got the quick connect hose so i can run it off trailer tank.

59090F01-19FA-4755-BF44-AD9ED0977C31.png

Bowman3d likes this.
  3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    Oh, hell. I'm in trouble now ...

4. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    Look for a pizza stone that will fit on the shelf. It will help with heat distribution eliminating hot spots and the need to keep turning your food. I adapted adjustable feet on mine to help with leveling. Smart thinking on the scaffold legs I went crazy trying to find something to put it on that was the right height.
    Edit: progress report on cap gasket for your Coleman stove? Oh yeah the gasket needs to be fuel resistant so I don’t think Home Depot will have it.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I buy cap gaskets in bulk off eBay.

Bowman3d likes this.
  6. Wecamp04

Wecamp04 Member

Sep 14, 2014
    I have several different stoves ,the one I like the best and use the most is a early 60s model two burner coleman that was my dads ,I also have 2 two mantle and a one mantle lantern and a coleman tent heater that were his .Their simple and just work .I have a new 3 burner coleman propane stove works ok but is very hard to control the heat,and a two burner campchef weekender propane stove well built works good but is big and heavy.

7. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    We used a ancient stove for a long, long time but now a have a new one. The father-in-law keeps buying camp equipment then gives it us, after he decides that he'll not use it. Nonetheless, they both work fine and we'll keep using the new one since its slightly smaller in size.

Camp food is best!