Camp Stoves

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Pirate_Popup, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    Folks, We carry the largest made bottles into the field for work which is the 30 OZ MSR fuel bottles. These bottles rock for toughness and are pressure vessels so they don't leak. Exception is if the caps O ring fail :-(. We immediately replace the safety caps they come with, with normal ones. The only down side is 30 OZ isn't all that much fuel if you are boon-docking for days and/or heating water for showers. Boon-docking is what we do 90% the time. As others have stated, HDPE plastic is not bothering by gasoline fuels.

2. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    its big. its heavy.
    but i can BAKE dinner & dessert in an oven, & safely take a shower while its cooking.
    got scaffold bench to make legs. together, its normal counter height.
    got the hose that connects to second big propane tank.
    then got the quick connect hose so i can run it off trailer tank.

59090F01-19FA-4755-BF44-AD9ED0977C31.png

Bowman3d likes this.
  3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    Oh, hell. I'm in trouble now ...

4. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    Look for a pizza stone that will fit on the shelf. It will help with heat distribution eliminating hot spots and the need to keep turning your food. I adapted adjustable feet on mine to help with leveling. Smart thinking on the scaffold legs I went crazy trying to find something to put it on that was the right height.
    Edit: progress report on cap gasket for your Coleman stove? Oh yeah the gasket needs to be fuel resistant so I don’t think Home Depot will have it.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I buy cap gaskets in bulk off eBay.

Bowman3d likes this.
  6. Wecamp04

Wecamp04 Member

Sep 14, 2014
    I have several different stoves ,the one I like the best and use the most is a early 60s model two burner coleman that was my dads ,I also have 2 two mantle and a one mantle lantern and a coleman tent heater that were his .Their simple and just work .I have a new 3 burner coleman propane stove works ok but is very hard to control the heat,and a two burner campchef weekender propane stove well built works good but is big and heavy.

7. Arlyn Aronson

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    We used a ancient stove for a long, long time but now a have a new one. The father-in-law keeps buying camp equipment then gives it us, after he decides that he'll not use it. Nonetheless, they both work fine and we'll keep using the new one since its slightly smaller in size.

Camp food is best!

8. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    I use Wally World propane for a few years till they are shot. I get by with bring a propane skillet and have 3 burners to use outside of the camper. Simple meal of shish James bobs and rice or noodle.
    Get elaborate and I have homemade sauce on low all day. Meatballs, sausages, and garlic bread on the campfire Requires all burners. 7B411CF7-81BA-42AD-B854-5DF5294D63E0.jpeg

Rik Peery likes this.
  9. Arlyn Aronson

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    this is a double post

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  10. Arlyn Aronson

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    HPDE plastic does perfectly well with fuels. This is the plastic that fuel cans you buy, is made from. We also use MSR 30 oz fuel bottles but found that 30oz container its not enough volume. Today we simply use the 1 gallon steel cans that white gas comes in from the manufacture . They get bent to snot in the fire wood box getting banged around, but we've yet to have one leak. Go figure.

11. Brad Jackson

Brad Jackson Member

Aug 25, 2018
    wooster,ohio

I have that one but switched it to propane

12. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    backpacking i use a solo stove twig burner. I have been contemplating getting dual fuel lanterns on up for shtf times not weekend practicing to homeless.

Blackripley likes this.
  13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @Arlyn Aronson We did have a metal Coleman can develop a hole, years ago. Thankful it was on our way home, and only got on the stuff sacks for the sleeping bags. We now use a “plastic” gas can, plus have metal MSR bottles for backpacking.
    Still happy to stick with white gas for the camp stove and backpacking on. Coleman doesn’t get used every trip, we use the TT one lots of the time these days- after years of trying to cook in the wind, it’s nice. We also have a longer season.

14. dbhost

dbhost Member

Sep 19, 2018
    I could go into detail on this, but I am very strongly against the 1lb propane cylinders. If you get a propane camp stove, make sure you get one you can hook up to a refillable cylinder. I have a Coleman Classic 2 burner Perfectflow stove, I think they are something like $45.00 at Walmart.com. I like liquid fuel stoves / lanterns / heaters better for simplicity sake, but they are a bit more difficult for some people to use. Propane is fine if running off of a bulk cylinder.

Avoid Brinkmann stoves at all costs. Their regulators are junk, and are not replaceable so the stoves are disposable.