Camper for the bigger campers... With some off road ability?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by dbhost, Sep 25, 2018.

1. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    I thought of this thread when I saw the below Craigslist post. It seems like it would have met your criteria before your situation changed.
    https://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/rvs/d/trade-sell-fleetwood-e3-pop/6716672970.html

2. dbhost

dbhost Member

Sep 19, 2018
    Not a huge shock. Beginning of the fiscal year is when the layoffs usually come... She's pretty down about it. Been a VERY bad year for us. I was hoping to get the truck going and into a camper before Christmas this year to spend time out / weekend trips with her next year. Looks like we are stuck in a tent for a while longer...

3. dbhost

dbhost Member

Sep 19, 2018
    Well, not too surprisingly, my lovely bride has put the brakes completely on the idea of a Truck Camper. Which means I MUST either tent camp, or go where I want to go with a Pop up...

I am sourcing up a location to do the work needed on the truck. Specifically HOA doesn't care about the truck being kept washed in the driveway and not moving, but will get all sorts of bent out of shape once I pull the engine to rebuild.... A friend of mine has a big shop / garage out in the sticks that has offered up the space... I can pull the sour 5.4L and get to tear down there. I know what needs to happen, just hope the block is in good shape...

Just need to shake a few trees to make some $$ come my way for the parts I need...

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Good luck with your situation, hope your wife finds another job soon.

Just keep in mind you can get a pop up really cheap if you look hard enough. I see them for under $1k all the time. Just have to be willing to put in the work to make it your own. Some friends just bought a nice Coleman Utah with a/c for $800. It doesn't look pretty, but it's solid.

5. dbhost

dbhost Member

Sep 19, 2018
    Not worried about the camper itself. I am working that on trade. I need to get the tow vehicle, a 2004 Ford F150 4x4 with the badly designed 5.4L 3V engine (they are notoroious for valve train failures) back in running order. The valve train, specificially the tensioners, and cam phasers failed somewhat typically, and spectacularly after 116K miles of meticulous maintenance. The issue is one of oil flow to where these parts are... A full overhaul of the engine is in order. Melling has a fix / replacement of the oil pump that fixes those issues.

With the mileage, I figure I will redo the whole thing, crank bearings, camshafts, springs etc... All told, I will have about 3K into getting it road worthy...

Orchid likes this.
  6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Wow, might be cheaper just to buy another truck. Although if $3k makes it perfect, than maybe that's the way to go. I always get into these debates in my head over vehicles. Glad you still have that trade on the table! A pop up is a million times more comfortable than a tent. Even though the canvas exists, I don't feel like there is any comparison to people who have experienced both. Only people who have never had a pup think they are alike. :smiley: Be sure to put anti-fatigue flooring (from Harbor Freight) under the bunk mattresses and your wife will be a happy camper.

7. dbhost

dbhost Member

Sep 19, 2018
    For $3K, I am going to end up with another high mileage truck with most likely engine problems, and no 4x4, no winch, no other upgrades I have done over the years, and no honeymoon memories with my wife.... I'm keeping my old truck....

To get what I would have for $3K invested, I would have to put about $12K in at least. For the money, I can have in this I would have a new engine, transmission was just redone due to my stupidity 15K miles prior to the engine failing (put a rock through the trans pan). Transfer case, and differentials were just gone through and look like new, brakes are PowerStop semi metallic pads with slotted and dimpled rotors (fancy talk for a bunch of extra braking power). 12.5K winch on the front end, 4" lift, 35x12.50/17 tires etc... Heck even with all the money in the world, I'd fix the thing for my nephew who has been crazy about it since he was a kid...

Orchid likes this.
  8. dbhost

dbhost Member

Sep 19, 2018