Camper key

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by The Bob, May 19, 2017.

1. The Bob

The Bob New Member

May 13, 2017
    Upstate New York
    Has anyone ordered a replacement key for the pop-out T lock on a Coleman PUP? I bought a used PUP last week and the seller said she lost the key. They got a locksmith to open it up but I'm afraid someone is going to push in the T and I'll be screwed.

It says at https://colemanpopupparts.com/products/8025-key that only one kind of key was made for those, but they can't all be cut the same, can they?

2. Boatnman

Boatnman Active Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Colemanpopupparts would know. Check the date of manufacture on the sticker on the side of the PUP.

3. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    All 8025 keys will have the same cut. Call a local locksmith and ask if they have an 8025 key. A REAL locksmith, not a hardware store or big box store.

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. mstrbill

mstrbill Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    yes, there are only two keys used for F/C campers; earlier campers used the 1101 key and later campers used the 8205 key. Each key can open any camper that takes that key. The ones from Coleman Parts are ready to use. If you could find a working key(from a neighbor say) you can take it to HD/Lowes and have a new key cut. They won't have a 8205 blank, but there are others that will work.

5. JT2

JT2 Member

May 20, 2008
    Yes,they can all be cut the same! As I recall, all Coleman keys before a certain date (1991?) are the same. After that date, they're also the same but different from the first group.

6. The Bob

The Bob New Member

May 13, 2017
    Upstate New York
    Thanks, everyone. I ordered new keys.

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    On my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer I have found if I walk up to my access door with arm full of groceries it is much easier for me to reach inside the door velco flap and unlock the door from the inside then to sit down all of the groceries and fumble around in my pocket for the keys haha...

Anything of any value is always kept in our locked truck bed or Truck rear seat area...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

bob barnes likes this.
  8. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Oh yes they can... A lot of other brand RVs and popups use a ch751 key.

9. bsandey

bsandey Member

Jun 9, 2005
    If you really think about it, how much security is there is locking up a pop-up? We never locked ours up because it was so easy to get into it if it was. Just pop the canvas off the door, reach in, and unlock the door.

10. Reaching inside the canvas works for unlocking the screen door, but not for the stepper door. It needs to be unlocked from the outside with a key (provided you don't want to do any damage to it).

The key blank for the later Coleman stepper door is a Y11. Any good locksmith will have one of those, but you generally won't find them at the big box stores.

11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We lock ours while camping if we leave the site for awhile. Mostly just to keep a random kid from entering or a curious person. We don't keep anything of value in it anyway.

12. The Bob

The Bob New Member

May 13, 2017
    Upstate New York
    I bought the keys on Ebay on Friday and got them today. They work great. Thanks for the help, everyone.

rerspain and Redbird934 like this.
  13. Good! What I do is have a few copies made, then put away one original key at home. I pack a spare of each kind (had to help a neighbor a few years back get a key for his old one). I take them both with me when I camp in case someone is in dire need there, and can have more made when I get home.

14. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Michigan
    Door Lock on PUP serves 2 purposes. To keep the door from flying open when going down the road and to keep honest people honest

15. bob barnes

bob barnes Active Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Ken that's our plan too I figure you might as well make it easy for them to get in much less damage that way. I must say in 41 years of tent camping leaving everything outside we never had anything stolen. Now to figure out how to keep the bears out on our Alaska trip is another thing!!!

16. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I can't remember losing anything that walked off as well. I did however just replaced my Sears clamp-on AC/DC Current Meter that I have been looking for a couple of seasons now... It may have wandered off on me but I really suspect it got laid down next to the tree stump on one trip and I ran off and left it. Probably needed a new one anyway... They pretty handy to have to watch how many DC AMPS my batteries are taking in when charging and putting out when I running something... I done that once before leaving something on a tree stump.... I left a pair of gloves like that one time and went back the next year and there they was still laying on the tree stump haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

bob barnes likes this.
  17. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    My Baja was missing the outside shower door key when I bought it earlier this year. Took it to the local locksmith on my way out of town for my first trip with it. They got a number off the lock itself and cut 2 keys for me. Took all of 5min and $9 and I was back on the road. Never did understand why they put a lock on that door and not any of the other utility doors (fridge, furnace, etc). I don't see the logic of locking a tent trailer. If they want something, they'll get it.

bob barnes likes this.
  18. bob barnes

bob barnes Active Member

Mar 26, 2017
    and tear up a bunch of stuff doing might be simplier to make it easy for them to walk on in find nothing worth stealing and move on

19. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    Honestly, if someone wanted to steal something, it wouldn't hurt my feelings. Shoot, they could take the whole dumb thing and I wouldn't mind. I have it insured for far more than I paid for it, plus all of my personal gear is insured. I stand to make a helluva lot of $$ if anything is ever stolen. All of it is for "stated value," not my purchase price. Obviously, everything I own is top-of-the-line and in like-new condition.............wink, wink.

20. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure insurance works like that, but good luck to you.