Campground/Park north of GTA but south of Sudbury/NB

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by Chloe, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Chloe

Chloe Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Looking for a nice spot to camp north of Toronto, as we’ll be heading NW to Sault Ste. Marie through Sudbury and/or North Bay. I saw a review of Arrowhead and that looks great so I’m keeping it in mind. We need a place that is dog friendly, for sure! A dog-friendly beach is a plus but not required since my dogs don’t swim anyway, lol. But, would like a place with somewhat wooded spots, not just an open field, since we like the shade. Water and electric are nice but not required. Nice to have a place to shower. Any suggestions are very welcome... we haven’t camped up that way yet and plan to take our ALiner.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Oh you have lots of Provincial Parks to choose from all depends on which route you want to take.. Hwy 11 through North Bay (just moved there from the GTA) you have Arrowhead. Mikisew. Restoule and 30 mins East of N.B you have Samuel de Champlain. . I have been to the first one and the last one and yes they are both great parks. . The middle two, I haven't been too but I have heard great things about them..

Going up hwy 400/69 you have Six Mile Lake. Oastler. Sturgeon. Killbear. And Grundy. . Of these we have been to Oastler and Grundy multiple times. Grundy is by far the better of the two.. Oastler has train tracks nearby that may disrupt your sleep.. We havent been to any of the others.. I have been told that the road to Killbear is a bit rough in places (a friend actually snapped the tounge on their pup one time driving to the campground ) .. Sturgeon is well great for small trailers and is home to a great deal of snakes..

3. Chloe

Chloe Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I don't know how I missed this, Snow! Thanks so much for replying! :) I'm writing down all your ideas to do some research! It looks like I finally got my DH to nail down some dates, so we're going to be looking in that area soon. Or we might take a different route (maybe go west along Lake Ontario towards Ottawa, etc, I'm not sure).

Funny you mention train tracks near Oastler. My dad built his house very close to some tracks and you'd hear the Agawa Canyon tour train run past, among others. So I kinda grew used to having my bed shake while I was sleeping, though DH has a rough time of it. :p