Campgrounds in S. Fla.

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by rognkat, Apr 16, 2017.

1. rognkat

rognkat Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Jasper TN
    I was wondering if anyone can give me their knowledge or opinion of campgrounds around the West Palm Beach area of Fl. I know about the KOA near Lion Country and John Prince Park, but the reviews are a few years old for JPP and the KOA is really out of my financial range at $85 per night. Any help would be appreciated. May be going down this summer with my youngest daughter and my granddaughter and need a safe,clean and pet friendly place that's affordable.

2. smadeen

smadeen Member

Check out Jonathan Dickinson State Park in Hobe Sound, FL. It is just north of West Palm Beach.

kcsa75 and scubacamper like this.
  3. rognkat

rognkat Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Jasper TN
    Thanks smadeen, I think plans have changed :confused:. Seems the daughter isn't sure about getting things ready,sigh.

4. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    rognkat,
    Sorry I'm just now seeing this but Jonathan Dickerson is a great place to camp on the east coast but there are many down that way and you can locate ALL of the FL SP by using the following link...best of luck and enjoy.

www.floridastateparks.org

5. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Active Member

Be aware there are two campgrounds at JDSP. One has no shade at all and the other, the River Loop has recently had new electric installed and all sites renumbered. Have not been since their reopening so don't know what the shade conditions are now in the River Loop.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  6. rjniles

rjniles Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Georgetown SC
    I was at JDSP in February, site #133 in the River Campground. Be aware that they have redone this campground and many of the sites are wide open and offer no privacy. Sites 119-139 odd numbered are by far the best. 91-113 all are the pits. I would not even consider the Pine Grove campground.

7. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Jacksonville, FL
    rjniles, I would respectfully Disagree about the Pine Grove campground...yes the River CG is better but we camped at JD last May and enjoyed it though there is little to no shade (we didn't have a choice as the River sites were under construction).

We are heading back this may and are staying in Pine Grove as we discovered later in the summer that the River Loop is plagued by gnats and other insects more so than Pine Grove. I guess it all depends on what you're planning on doing there. If you hang out at the CG and spend most of your time there YES the River Loop would be MUCH better but we do little at the CG as we are off Scuba Diving West Palm Beach, shopping the area in Stuart or just out and about so Pine Grove works for us.

8. rognkat

rognkat Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Jasper TN
    Thanks all for the advice and info. Not gonna be heading down there at this time.