Camping and Geocaching

Discussion in 'GPS / Geocaching & Mapping Applications' started by KJcachers, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    And keep an eye on other peoples Pups while walking through campgrounds/sites, you may find the odd Pup as a travel bug. I'm gonna get a TB sticker for mine just to see if I get any posts on it. I saw a TB sticker on a car last week, parked at a beach close to where we were camping. Took out the phone, snapped a picture of it, and logged it as discovered when we got home. I've seen a few of those now, so I figure its time to sticker the Pup.

2. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Member

Aug 9, 2011
    North Dakota
    We have had a TB sticker on our Popup since we bought it. It is a conversation at the least and a discover for those who know about Geocaching TBs

3. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Back in May of 2015, you and I were talking about using a Pup as a TB. I asked if you ever got any 'discovered' logs on it. You never answered. So I'll ask again, do you have any hits on the Pup TB? I never turned mine into a TB, but am still interested in doing it.

I tried to find you, and your Pup on geo.com, but couldn't make the jbirdt cross over into anything.

4. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

Aug 9, 2011
    North Dakota
    I guess I have never checked but I will see if anyone has logged the PUP TB (eyeinthesky)

5. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

Aug 9, 2011
    North Dakota
    Tag - Along is the Tb

6. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    So, I checked out your TB on geo.com

This is what I was afraid might happen, not many discovered logs.

I was wondering about putting the original TB sticker on the back of the Pup so that people on the road can see it. Maybe they will see it in a parking lot, or ??

My son works beside a sign company that can make stickers. I thought of having them make a copy of the TB sticker for me that I could stick onto a piece of rigid plastic. This could be hung on the Pup wherever you want while at a campsite to give it maximum exposure. Might get a few more hits from people out on their evening walks through the park.

Heres a blurb from another thread I have going right now about a similar type of sign getting exposure .....

Wife and I sleep on the front bed over the trailer tongue, and I sleep on the outer edge. As you know, when backed in, that end is the close end to the road that runs through the camp sites. I had the truck parked over to the other side of the site to provide privacy over there, so I was really close to the road while sleeping. While lying in bed one morning, just waking up and was about to crawl out of bed, I heard a conversation going on at the edge of my campsite. A guy talking to his wife (presumably) commenting on my Portal sign that I got at last years rally. I have it hanging off that end of the Pup whenever we are camping. It was very quick but went something like, "See?, theres that guy with Portal sign I told you about." She mumbled something back to him, that I couldn't make out, and then they walked away. I jumped out of bed to go talk to them, but by the time I got outside, there were numerous people walking around and I couldn't figure who did the talking. I would've liked to have seen who that was, and if it was someone from on here. I think if it was a regular member from here, they would've came back later in the day to talk to me and see who I was. Oh well. Cool eh?

7. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

Aug 9, 2011
    North Dakota
    June 23-25, 2017 Jamestown, North Dakota Lakeside Campground Caching and Camping annual event several Pups already registered. Plan to camp and cache with us.
    GC718Y6 ▼

[​IMG]

NDGCA Camping and Caching 2017

8. RollTide30

RollTide30 Member

Jan 30, 2017
    West Georgia
    We always do caching while out camping. All of the SPs in Georgia have an official park cache. Once you find a set number and get the stamp, you can send in for a coin. They have 3 levels of coins, Bronze, Silver, and Gold depending on how many caches you have found. Once you get each coin there is a bonus cache that can be found for having each coin. My kids love finding the park caches because they are ammo boxes and they normally have lots of little trinkets in them that they trade something else for. We have found 2 travel bugs so far and relocated them which is always fun.

9. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Surprise, AZ
    When ever I plan a hike or camp I always look up what caches are in the area or cool ones along the way (good excuse to get out and stretch your legs on a trip). My husband doesn't care for the city caches but he enjoys the hiking and neat virtual ones.

My car is a travel bug. I plan on making my pop up one too.

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I'm a casual geocacher. I hate my city caches. For one there is always a muggle or 10 around and they are always micro caches which mean you really have to search hard for. Kind of hard to do with muggles walking by every second. I love finding caches near hiking trails when I'm camping, but sadly the three places I've visited no caches in park grounds. I don't do the travel bugs because i don't go out often enough or where there are big enough caches. My sidekick loves to go with me, but gets too frustrated when they are hard to find and gets bord quick. My cacheing dog is so not suitable for the forest caches so limits me a lot too. Otherwise I have gone on trails I would not have been on, and seen some things I would not have seen. Got to love it.

11. ~erik~

~erik~ Member

Jan 19, 2015
    North Georgia
    I've been geocaching for 15+ years, now only do it when somewhere new. It's a great way to find cool places that you'd otherwise never know existed. Going camping tomorrow at a state park in Florida, have downloaded the area caches into my GPS and iPhone. Don't know if we'll have time for geocaching, but at least I'm prepared if we do.