Camping in-- OK State Parks?

Discussion in 'Oklahoma' started by gruver, Jun 6, 2009.

1. gruver

gruver New Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Texas
    We are planning on going to Lake Murray State Park sometime in June. Has anyone stayed there? Which is the best campground? Also, we are looking into Roman Nose State Park.

2. Poodle

Poodle New Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Yep, we have camped there several times! Very nice campground! We like Buzzards roost, but it's not super close to the water. There is a trail and is a small walking distance to it though. Showers/toilets at this particular one, elect/water but no sewer. Quiet area, that's why we loved it!

Elephant rock is closest to the beach, and it's pretty nice, but VERY tight. Always full of people, and the local Ardmore people tend to keep it filled. But, if you can get in there, it is nice. Various avaible sites there, full hookups or just water/elec. We have camped there in October and it was really nice!

There is another area that is close to the beach (forget the name), and the hookups are on asphault. This is a busy area too.

Where ever you stay at Lake Murray, you will have a nice time. Hope this helps ya :)

Roman Nose, never heard of that place, is that in Oklahoma also?

3. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

Mar 30, 2009
    Oklahoma
    You guys should check out the state parks in NE Oklahoma. It's soooo beautiful up that way.

4. CompuCamper

CompuCamper Where to camp next?

Nov 14, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    I haven't camped at Lake Murray yet but have at Roman Nose. Nice place with some trails and small lake. There is two loops first one is very shady and other is has little more shade. Here are my Pictures of Roman Nose SP.

5. Kunk35

Kunk35 Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Texas
    We go to Lake Murray on a regular basis. We stay at Marietta landing so we can dive. From what I understand, that's the deep end of the lake, so that's where most of the divers go.

They have decent showers and the prices are very reasonable. We've only stayed once at buzzards roost, but I have to say, I really like marietta landing the best.

6. Beerlifter

Beerlifter Oklahoma, It's not just for Indians anymore!

Jun 22, 2006
    Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
    I have never stayed at Lake Murray but have stayed in that neck of the woods. Lots and lots to do around there......Chickasaw National Park, Turner Falls, Texoma Lake, Pennington Creek, Arbuckle lake & Wilderness, just lots and lots to do in that area.

7. ScouterWife

ScouterWife Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Jun 5, 2008
    Oklahoma City
  8. 5Star

5Star New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Red Oak, Tx
    Haven't camped there yet but plan to. We are going to Beavers Bend in July. Haven't been there either. I here that they are both really nice.

Hope you have a blast. Post your review when you get back. I would like to hear what you think about Lake Murry.

9. gruver

gruver New Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for all the help! We will report back on our trip. I did discovery www.oklahomacampers.com a few days ago, it is a great website for info. in OK.

10. Kunk35

Kunk35 Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Texas
    We are staying a couple of days up at Murray next week. I'm really looking forward to the time off!

11. Nitty Gritty

Nitty Gritty I love RVing!!

Jun 18, 2007
    Tornado Alley, Oklahoma
    We want some updates on your visits to Oklahoma's State parks! [:D]