Camping Menu

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by HappyTraveler, May 3, 2019.

1. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Utensils for making hot sandwiches/deserts/anything else you can imagine. Put bread on either side with a filling between and heat over campfire

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camp-Chef-Dual-Square-Cooking-Iron-DSPI/203576254?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D28I|28-22_BBQ+GRILL|NA|PLA|General|Fixed|71700000041074675|58700004918395918|92700042616596774&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlf6wuaqH4gIVVrXACh2iEQhEEAQYASABEgLQ8fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Member

Oh that does look good!

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Here is how to use them.

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I am usually the odd man out on this, but there are very few things I like made in a pie iron (or the easy make fire meals using prepared dough recipes). Grilled cheese, reubens, etc, are great.

Slices of bread with jam or pie filling - taste like pieces of bread with jam or pie filling. Pecan pie filling on bread - NO. They do not a fruit pie make.

Pizza fixings on sliced bread - NOT a pizza.

Ick!

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Add some butter !

7. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Wife whips up some good stuff in a cast iron skillet, I keep it simple to a degree, I'd eat C rats if they still made 'em...breakfast--grits/oatmeal w/ Tabasco dash of salt & coffee...lunch--English muffin samich w/ foil pack tuna, various flavors...dinner--whatever the wife whips up in the skillet, usually chicken/stir fry etc, I keep nuts/apples for snacks, & during the cooler months we'll do fire pit coal taters & maybe grill a steak...I'm up before dawn fishing/kayaking etc, if the wife is fixing eggs/bacon when I get back, I'll eat some of that...come dusk, I may have a barley pop or 2...

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. bayport

bayport New Member

DH is the ultimate breakfast guy. We cube peppers, potatoes, onions, and sweet potatoes at home and store in a Mason jar. In camp he fries them up in the skillet with tomatoes and some sort of meat. We usually add eggs too. We have also scrambled eggs and made breakfast tacos with some salsa, tortillas, cheese and sometimes meat. For dinner we like to make mini pizzas with Naan bread (usually Stonefire brand.) We just put it on the fire grate and add a few toppings until nice and melty. I have also assembled a stromboli (pizza dough, pepperoni, cheese and pesto) ahead of time and frozen it. When it is thawed I bake it in greased tinfoil near the coals. We also really like taking a loaf of bread and some olive oil. We toast slices and dip in the oil. If we feel extra fancy we will bring tomatoes, garlic and basil and make bruschetta.

HappyTraveler, Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Good idea, never thought of mason jars. Lol. I have some , and used to use then as a kid for preserves and such. Now , you gave me a whole new world that can be explored.........