Camping pet peeves

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JHOP, Jun 11, 2018.

1. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Orchid we are in 1500! The loop is great! This trip has been amazing, our camper is doing great and we love Fort wilderness! 99.9% of the other campers are amazing. It's just the one jerk camper next door. Natch.
    Ps... The rest of the families in the campground are super considerate and great camp neighbors.

Orchid likes this.
  2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm so happy to hear it! Even in Loop 2000, we've only had one inconsiderate family. Just so. many. kids. [LOL]

I love that you describe your trip as "amazing!" That's how I feel every time we go, even at Halloween with some drunks in 2000. :wink:

3. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Boulder, Colorado
    These things don't just happen in campgrounds. One of my favorite boondocking spots is a small meadow at the end of a short logging haul road. Our Aframe was visible from the main road. Imagine my consternation when we returned from fishing and found a tent camp set up in the middle of the logging road. They turned out to be nice people, they just hadn't thought through the situation.

kitphantom likes this.
  4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

[LOL][LOL] Kind of reminds me when DH set up a semi-permanent pool in the neighbors yard because it more level. He got so irrational fooling with that pool that he actually thought this was a logical solution. Or at least he claims he did. :rolleyes:

I have seen people, in regular campgrounds, set up tents in places that they were not supposed to be. Once, three guys on motorcycles, each with their own tiny tent, set them all up in the woods around the site instead of in the site itself. Needless to say, the ranger came around and made them move them onto their site. Not sure what they were thinking.

Can't image the thought process that went into putting up a tent on a logging road. What if someone came down it in the night and wasn't expecting a tent to be there. Flattened like a pancake. [B)]

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

LOL if you can hear the neighboring campsite fart, there's only 2 possibilities: 1) the campsites are WAY too close together, or 2) it's a really massive fart.

April and BelchFire like this.
  6. tfischer

The problem is this is highly subjective. One person might define that not screaming and yelling, while another might say the noise of bikes quietly going by on the gravel was too much.

BelchFire likes this.
  7. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    Our pet peeve is not camping. We hoped to go this weekend but NOAA says it will be near 80.

8. tfischer

If 80 was the threshold for "too hot to camp" we would rarely ever be camping, even in Minnesota.

Fbird likes this.
  9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    You remind me of a trip to Alaska a few years ago. It was August and they were having a real heat wave -- daytime temps in the 70s. Locals were complaining. "Can you believe this heat?" [:)C]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  10. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    I'm honestly failing to see why what I have said is such an issue.

Obviously, people going down the road, at whatever time, on car, bike or foot to get from one place to another without unnecessary noise is reasonable. Oh, and yes, I know that "unnecessary" is subjective too. After all, some might think that it's absolutely necessary that kids yell at each other while they're biking, at whatever hour. Or that speaking in full voice while walking within several feet of other tents or campers on your way to the restroom at 7 am is also necessary.

To me, there is no "problem" here in speaking about what is disturbing to others. Perhaps I should have explicitly stated that I am not talking about extremes here. Yes, there are 83 year old grandmothers who would be irritated at the slightest sound of tires on gravel, no matter what time it is. There are also people who would not be disturbed by anything less than a nuclear explosion. I'm not speaking of that. To borrow a chapter from first year Tort Law, I'm speaking of the hypothetical "reasonable person"- that person who didn't get up on the wrong side of the bed, who has no internalized biases, who neither loves nor hates children and pets... In short, that totally "middle of the road" person that is spoken of when we talk about what is objectively "reasonable".

I think that most people, if they chose to look past the end of their nose, would be fairly agreeable on what is reasonable activity at a campground and what activity would be reasonably disturbing to others. So, I suppose that's why I am having trouble seeing why what I have said is such an issue.

11. tfischer

MsMac you sound like a great, respectful camper, someone I'd be happy to have in the site next to ours :) I'm not trying to argue with you... just it's clear by this thread that a lot of people have different perceptions, from "kids will be kids and I love to hear them" to "I hate waking up to the sound of kid's bike tires on the gravel by our site, why do they have to do that so early?" And that's just among PUP members.

I like to think the majority of people here on this forum are respectable campers. If I notice the people on the site next to us have gone to bed by 9:00, I might think "holy crap that's awfully early" but I'll also try to start keeping noise down. I would like to think people would do the same in the morning.

Honestly, I've rarely been bugged by loud noises in the morning. The one that comes to mind was one of the worst camper duos we've ever camped by... they kept their dog off leash the entire weekend, for example, and he came to our site a few dozen times. The first couple times we waved it off and smiled and said "no problem" but after that it started getting annoying. They also yelled across the campground for their dog after midnight, since he ran off then too. Then... they were up at 6:30 am chopping wood. Now I don't understand why people EVER need to chop wood at a public campground (vs boondocking)... at least around here you're required to buy it pre-split in bundles. I guess some people insist on making kindling to start the fire. Whatever... but you don't need to do it that early. And they were chopping wood throughout the entire morning... including dragging entire fallen branches out of the woods which was clearly against campground rules.

But... that was clearly the exception. Most of our camping experiences have been wonderful... including some that it rained over half the weekend lol. I love camping.

BelchFire, hq308 and neighbormike like this.
  12. hq308

hq308 Active Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    I think even a reasonable person would have trouble drawing a definitive line in the sand, even picking a time like 7am, 8am etc can change with the seasons. 7am in the middle of winter is different to 7am during the summer holidays. For me I try and gauge it on what other campers around me are doing at the time, if there doesn't seem to be much activity at the surrounding sites I'll make an effort to keep the noise down but if most groups are up and about then not so much.

Tothetide likes this.
  13. tfischer

Yep. I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread but the phrase I say to my kids (and even my wife) multiple times per camping trip is "if you're the loudest person (or group) in the campground, there better be a darned good reason for it"

That's as true at 3pm as it is at 7am or midnight.

hq308 likes this.
  14. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    We moved from Duluth in 96 but if we move back to MN, it would be on the north shore*. The reason we're not serious about doing that, is they don't hardly get any snow up there!! Other than that, its really nice up there with its rough terrain of granite and streams everywhere. Plus cooler temps than what we have.

* for the map challenged people, we reside on the south shore of the little pond.

15. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I think that if your expectations on vacation are to sleep late in the morning and not be disturbed then a campground with young children may not be the best choice. If you have AC in the pop up you can probably sleep through morning commotion. I get woken up by all the birds in the morning.

16. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    1380ken... The birds, come to think of it every time I camp it's the birds that wake me up. Why are they referred to as fine feathered friends?

17. HappyCamper5220

HappyCamper5220 New Member

Jun 6, 2018
    THAT'S AWESOME:)[:D]:laugh:

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We've even encountered unthinking and/or uncaring campers in the back country - like the group that set up their camp sprawled across the trail, including a cook stove on the trail. We got weird looks as we hiked on the trail, as though we were the ones in the wrong place.

jumpoff likes this.
  19. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    17862758-7B43-48C3-B0C8-4445194DF252.jpeg No neighbors = no problems

JHOP likes this.
  20. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    If there is indoor Gizmo, then it'll be DARK inside.