Camping pet peeves

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JHOP, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    Silence is golden, duct tape is silver. Although the whining maybe just as irritating but can't be heard from far away. I didn't get any further into that conversation when my cousin slapped me on the back of my head and said my kids aren't normally this bad.

WVhillbilly and neighbormike like this.
  2. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    It reminds of the time when this monsterous 5th wheel so large that it dwarfed the pick up truck that was pulling it set up at a near by site...I shrugged it off as to each their own...Well let’s just say that they were the campers from H-ll. They set their two kids loose while they set up and those kids ran thru everyone’s sites surrounding them yelling and screaming. At around dinner, all we heard was what sounded like a hockey movie where are are hearing ‘he shoots, he scores! Along with the sound of the scoring air horn on their outside speakers. This went on for hours, way past the quiet time...at 11:30 pm one of my neighbouring campers went to the park rangers and they showed up. They knock with no answer, so he took the butt end of his metal flashlight and promptly wacked it on their door. The mother answered and said she did not know how to turn it off. The Ranger told her if she knew how to turn it on, she should know how to turn it. It if wasn’t turned off they would have to pack up. She went back in and it went quiet....I have never heard so many cheers from the park that late at night. They were gone the next morning...

neighbormike likes this.
  3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    On one off-season camping trip, I had gotten a nice spot in a pretty much empty loop. I had been enjoying my day when a truck pulled up to the site next to mine. A couple 20-something guys got out and set up a tent. Then another truck pulled in and 2 more guys got out and set up another tent. Then a 3rd truck and a few more guys and a tent. They had one of the truck radios playing while they set up camp. Then 2 of them came over to me and said "we 're having a bachelor party/campout. If we get too loud or obnoxious, just tell us to shut the f up and we will. We don't want to cause any trouble." They caused no problems at all. They even invited us over for drinks at one point. The next day, they went all around their camp and pick up all the trash and had the site cleaner than when they got there. They had a dog the entire time that I only saw once and never heard. The ranger had come around several times "checking up on them".

A few hours after they left, a car came into the loop the wrong way. Two women and 3 kids got out plus a dog. The dog and kids kept running through my site, the women kept yelling at them. A second car came in the wrong way and joined them. They brought out a radio and blasted it in directly at my camper and left it while they went to the water. They had garbage all over. When one of the kids yelled he had to go, one woman said "just go by the tree" even though there was a toilet 3 sites down - and he apparently didn't just need to pee. A third car came in the wrong way and parked in the campsite across from them. Another dog and kid. The two dogs started fighting with each other and one woman kept yelling at them while the others ignored it. Over the course of 4 hours they had driven in and out the wrong way at least 5 times. They apparently blocked at least 2 trailers from being able to drive out of the loop. The ranger came and told them to stop coming in and out the wrong way and made them repark their cars in the site backed in. While all the others went off yelling to the water, one woman pulled out the first car and parked it in my site (rather than in an empty site or the one her friends had parked in) while I was right there with no acknowledgment let alone apology so she could turn the other car around. After about 6 hours, they grabbed their kids, dogs, and radio and left. They picked up only the trash on the table, leaving all the rest.

So, I now say I would rather camp next to a bachelor party than a family...

I always remember that when I get frustrated over a minor "infraction" by others. For most of us, it's not the insistence on everyone else following "my" rules but the effort to not be oblivious to others. The bachelor party made an effort to minimize their impact on my camping experience while still having their camping experience. The family group just didn't care.

When I camp, I try to minimize my impact on others and their way of camping while enjoying camping my way.

MrsSquid, StaceyB, tfischer and 3 others like this.
  4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I can remember these same words coming from my Grand Father he was explaining camping to my cousin who was a few years older than I was. It has suck with me from the moment I heard it.

5. Adam Connolly

Adam Connolly Member

May 18, 2018
    The first time we camped at Pog lake in Algonquin Park I thought I was going to go crazy and rip the doors off the outhouse bathroom that were 50 feet from our site. Every single person would let the door slam going in and going out. It sounded like a shotgun going off. Now there were 4 door two for men two for women. At 530am it would start about every 5 minutes BANG BANG. It would slow down as it got later in the morning to about 8 bangs an hour during the day. Then around 9pm it was every minute as people brought their kids down for last potty time of the day. Middle of the night you would hear people talking and see the flashlight bouncing and lighting up the trailer inside as they searched for the missing outhouse that was there just before dark. Bang Bang bang bang.
    I almost said I wasn't going the next year when we ended up with the same spot. Then I had an idea. I brought along a couple of feet of foam insulation tape. When we got to our site I casually walked down and put a few pieces on the door frames. No more banging. It worked great. In fact I heard at least 5 people say how nice and thoughtful the government was in spending 2 dollars to fix the banging crap house doors. My wife said I was nuts for doing it but by the second day she had to admit it made a huge difference. She also had to do the coffee run to the store that morning as I had won the bet.

Redbird234, jnc, hq308 and 6 others like this.
  6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    I'll revive this thread for 2019. Two weeks ago we were at Crooked River SP. A "special" big TT camper rolled in and setup. For the next two nights, we got to see his synchronized light projectors, one on each side of the camper, do changing light show graphics on his camper ALL NIGHT LONG.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Was it this guy? Im still looking for him!

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I think I might have done something to the lights, I do not like to be kept up because some idiot wants to show his lights off.

9. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
  10. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    My pet peeves are:
    people that leave trash and litter around the area.
    people that allow dogs to run around
    people that play "music" too loud
    people that camp right next to you when there are many other spots to choose.
    generators

If we have to camp in a campground, I expect there to be people doing what people do, and kids doing what kids do. I'm always happy to see a family taking their kids camping, and I smile to see kids running through the woods, playing Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett. or whoever. I don't like drunken adults yelling. Most of the time, thankfully, we camp in a wilderness area with no one else around.

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm not a fan of light shows. When we were in an AZ SP for Thanksgiving '17, there were a couple of big rigs with the light projectors going. They were on another loop, so don't know if they turned them off later int he night.
    Many of the big rigs, and all of the host rigs, had rope lights under their RVs and TTs; these were separate from any outlining the site. They also had rope lights or work lights under their vehicles. We finally realized this was one tactic to discourage pack rats. Pack rats can be a huge issue in some of the places in the region, so I won't begrudge them well-aimed lights under rigs. (Our friends were doubtful when they had been advised to leave their vehicle hood open during a stay at another campground previous to that. They decided to look under the hood after half an hour or so, to see if there really was a place for the pack rats to build a nest. Sure enough, there was, on top of the headlights, and there was already the start of one.)
    We have solar lights in a jar, which we tuck under the edge of the trailer near the steps. Helpful, but subtle, so I can see the steps better when we're out after dark, but I doubt they'll repel pack rats.

12. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    Is this for neutering?

13. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    For whatever you can use it for.

14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    So it's a Klein multi-purpose tool.

WVhillbilly likes this.
  15. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    haha! one way to deal with lights! I have to admit, our new camper came with such lights, built in. I don't use the light show! but I do like the red ones when we are trying to preserve our night vision. I know it is not something anyone would want to hear, but campfires are very bad for Astronomy. but they are wonderful for any other part of camping. when we go camping with our kids, campfires trump telescopes.

16. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    I would argue that was a great use of a beer, especially if it was one that had gone warm on me...

17. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

That's one of the best arguments for boondocking—maybe you have your campfire on one side of the pup, and your telescopes on the other, and nobody else's light pollution for miles around. Or even if that's too much, you go sans campfire and just have the telescopes. I'd be willing to put out a campfire for neighboring astronomers if they were willing to give us a peep through the telescopes, anyway!

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  18. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    I have used my telescope as a "thank you" for other campers who have helped me with something. It's always very appreciated an enjoyed.

I have no problem with lights around a campsite while folks are up. It's the leaving the scare lights and flashing lights on all night that drive me nuts. If you're at burning man, go for it. If you're just camping in a regular campground, turn them out when you go to bed.

FARfetched likes this.
  19. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    You folks are reminding me boondocking has its pluses.... This past summer while at a NFS campground, we had a discount generator start up and run for hours on end. We weren't even that close to it but the whole CG must have been rattled by the noise. Oh well.

20. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    when we went to Cosmic Campground, N of Glennwood NM, it was fantastic. 6 campsites taken, 5 had telescopes. Two were doing astrophotography all night. the rest of us were just drifting around between campsites, sharing the views through different scopes. Just a very nice start party. the 6th campers were a young couple, who were honestly and truly amazed with seeing Mars, Jupiter and Saturn through our scopes. we were swapping eyepieces, views and experiences as long as we could be outside. It was October and unseasonably cold, I didn't bring enough of my winter clothes. No headlights past sunset, there was even red tape in the information kiosk so people could cover their flashlights! Not the usual camp ground, for sure.

I too, find that many fellow campers are very interested in our scopes. often ask about them, but few come back to our spot once it's dark outside. But then, we usually camp in spots that are pretty far apart from each other.

I guess all this is pretty irrelevant to the thread, sorry! but I guess it is interesting to realize that there are a lot of different interests and ways to enjoy the camping experience.