Camping with a newborn?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Orchid, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We got reservations for the beach next week, unexpectedly.

Our granddaughter is one week old, and would be 3 weeks at that time. The youngest my own kids went camping was probably a few months old.

Mom decided not to come along, but got me wondering how young everyone's kids were when they took them camping.

The day times would be fine. Mine and daughter's biggest concern is keeping temperatures stable at night in the pop up.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Lots of blankets and you do have a heater? If not i would get one. Keep the little one up on the bunk. Heat rises. Congratulations on the new granddaughter.

Orchid likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    And by blankets i mean the swaddling kind. Or the heavy duty pjs . The ones with the swaddle velcro.

Orchid likes this.
  4. Orchid

Thanks! Her mama is going to bring her up for a day while we are there, but not going to spend the night. She just seems so tiny and fragile compared to all of our other kids. She was 5 lb 13 oz. All my kids were over 8 lbs, some over 9 lbs. All previous grandsons were 8 lbs. This is our precious little girl that we waited 32 years for. There were 6 boys born in our family in a row.

I have seen a couple of babies that appeared to be newborn, while camping. One I know was only a few weeks because I spoke to his parents. But they were traveling in a large rig with better temperature control than our pup.

The other time I saw a couple with twins about 2 years old and what appeared to be a newborn, that one of the parents was always wearing, so never got a good look at it. They were camping in a pop up, but don't know how they handled things. They were a very calm and quiet family, so must have been well.

We don't have a furnace, and do use a space heater that heats well. Even so, here in Florida this time of year, you never know what you're getting. You could need the a/c and heater both in the same day. We never have tried to really have a constant temp, just leave them on high. Mostly because the cutting off and on an a/c or heater in a small camper wakes everyone up. We are the kind of people that sleep with fans running at home.

Here is a picture of our new little Princess Lilly -

20181024_162413.jpg

Redbird234, Mavis, gatorbait and 5 others like this.
  5. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    So precious! I see great things in store for her future! (Disney)

Orchid likes this.
  6. DJFav

DJFav Member

Sep 25, 2018
    CONGRATULATIONS!! She is beautiful!!

Orchid likes this.
  7. Orchid

Oh, yeah! Already thinking you may meet her next Halloween. She will be 1 and ready to rock!

Thank you so much!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Our daughter was about 3 months old when we took her camping.No problem , she slept between us

Orchid likes this.
  9. Orchid

That's about the youngest any of our kids were camping, and we tent camped back in the day. I imagine that this baby will 6 months old before she goes camping, since it's kind of cold at night for the next six months.

I feel like babies seemed much less fragile when I was younger.

10. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Plymouth, MI USA
    What a cutie! We were going to take our camping at three months, but I couldn't get a reservation. But we took her at four months, then again at 7.5 months, and she was fine. I'd have been perfectly comfortable with her at three weeks, but mom is from a 30 days bedrest culture, and wouldn't have any of that (and, it was early March).

If she's swaddled, she won't feel the cold, and she'll barely know where she is! Are you co-sleeping, or using a bassinet? My wife (again, different culture) insisted on co-sleeping, so that helped keep things toasty (and for me, who didn't agree, meant a bad back from sleeping literally on the edge of the bed, where it's not soft). A portable bassinet would fit nicely on the dining table, and if you use that nearby bunk, you'll have easy access to her.

It's so awesome to get them camping so young!

That reminds me, the most recent trip at 7.5 months, the park had a power failure due to a storm, and I don't run with batteries. It was 1.5 nights of 33°F exterior temperatures without heat, and she did just fine sleeping with mamma.

DJFav and Orchid like this.
  11. Orchid

Thanks! It's our granddaughter and her mama has her in a bassinet for now as she is so tiny. You are right about her being swaddled to keep warm. I didn't even think of that, it makes me less concerned about temperature. Our daughter will be bringing her and her big brothers to spend the day with us, but I told her to bring stuff to spend the night in case she doesn't feel like making the 90 minute drive home.

If she ends up spending the night, she will probably just sleep with mama and we'll put the boys on the third bed.

12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Congratulations Orchid. What a beautiful baby girl.

Orchid likes this.
  13. Orchid

Thank you! We are so in love with her!

14. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    Congratulations. She came early, right? She has such pretty color . Enjoy your time with that cutie.
    She probably seems fragile because she's so much tinier than your babies. Mine were all over 8# and some of the grands didn't look like they were done growing. Lol.
    I think we waited till ours were a year to camp more because of sleeping through the night issues.

Orchid likes this.
  15. Orchid

Thanks! Yes, my daughter was induced at 37 weeks due to high blood pressure. My own 4th child came at 37 weeks as well and weighed 8 lb 10 oz.

Lilly sleeps from 1:30 am until around 8:00 am now, at only 1.5 weeks. If they spend the night with us, I will take turns caring for her since daughter is pumping about half her milk into bottles.

16. lksdrinker

lksdrinker New Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Congrats! If you do take her camping, I sure hope you have some understanding campsite neighbors! I was told by many that bringing my two year old this summer was too early! I think most people worry far too much though (kids (maybe not newborns) need to fall and learn that cuts and bruises heal and life goes on all the same). So long as whoever is in charge of taking care of the baby knows what to expect (from camping and from babies!), there shouldn't be any problem....except maybe keeping others awake! Our last trip this year was with another family who have 5 kids, including 18 month old twins. I dont think those parents got a chance to enjoy the trip at all while trying to take care of them!

17. Orchid

I'm not really worried about what other people think. ;) If anyone would ever have the nerve to suggest any child with us was too young to be there, I wouldn't hesitate to put them in their place. She couldn't keep anyone awake, she doesn't even cry yet, just makes little noises. And even if she did cry, we wouldn't let her. My daughter and I are both very light sleepers and her needs would be met immediately.

As mentioned, all my kids started camping (in a tent) before they were a year old. I've never had twins, but never had a problem with taking little ones. We have also taken our other four grandchildren camping at under a year of age, just not this young. In fact, we rarely camp without little ones and always have a fantastic time with them. :) For us camping is family time, not parents/grandparents rest time.

I'm definitely of the opinion that camping is very good for kids, as well as playing outdoors everyday. Really, my only concern at this very young age is stable temperature control in our pup. Like our kids before them, our grandchildren get very dirty, they get scraped up, they get bumps and bruises from playing outdoors. They all love camping and I literally let them roll in the dirt if they want to. [LOL] And believe me, they do. They are washable and I carry a first aid kit. :smiley:

18. Orchid

ShesS an official camper at 2.5 weeks old! On the beach, and around the campfire with Grandma. 20181107_165023.jpg 20181107_182939.jpg

20181107_150410.jpg

Redbird234, 1380ken and Nani2 like this.
  19. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    Love it. She looks so tiny and brother looks so happy.

Orchid likes this.
  20. Orchid

Thanks! Yes, she has two very proud big brothers. The 5 year old was off fishing with Pap, so didn't get in on the beach photo of.

She is not the only newborn here right now. One more just a week older is also enjoying his first camping trip.

Nani2 likes this.