Camping with Autism

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by TheMillers, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Crabbypatty

Crabbypatty New Member

I’m just starting out camping with one of my children having low functioning autism. The set up for now is a friends farm until he warms up to camping.

J Starsky, hq308 and Dingit like this.
  2. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

We set it up for the girls to play in and get used to first. Then, we started with a couple nights in the driveway, over different weekends. We honesty feared a midnight escape runs across the yard. We installed a bungee that holds the door shut, followed up by a magnetic stick on type door alarm for peace of mind.

My youngest is autistic - now a teenager running at 5 yo reading levels. She loves the PUP, and we still set it up as a play house, now that we've moved into the TT.

Best story I can share:
    The cousins and her big sister had "moved in" on her TV in the PUP. Honest, probably their turn in all fairness.

But, a little too much for her, so she went outside...and around the campers and unplugged the power cord!

Now nobody is gonna use "my television" is what I could see her mind telling me. Problem solved in the land of Autism. SOLD!

3. Crabbypatty

Crabbypatty New Member

That’s our only fear is the breakout. Other than that he pitches a meltdown if he can’t sleep in the pup.

J Starsky likes this.
  4. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

We have stick on alarms everywhere, double sided deadbolts at the house. All just cheap insurance. A bungee keep the door shut with another layer of security. I even thought about adding a pad lock - if I had a fire we're jumping thru the canvas anyways. But she never bailed out, so I kept at the level of security.

5. Queenof3Boys

Queenof3Boys New Member

My ASD son (9yo) is one of the reasons I got the pup. It's a familiar place, with a space just for him. We don't have all the electronics for my son anyway, but we don't bring anything for him to watch tv on, or play games. He loves going on walks and "exploring" our camp site, swimming, playing on a playground, and helping make the fire. He is a wanderer, so that is always a fear of mine. I LOVE the bracelet idea, I will definitely be using this in the future!
    Some problems we have are:
    -He doesn't play well with others, so we have to watch him around other children. My other two boys help with this.
    -He doesn't sleep well. We have meds for him, but he still only sleeps a couple hours.
    -He is not quiet. Ever. Echolalia, squeels, and screaming if he hurts himself.
    -He doesn't eat a variety of food, we've got to find "camping" food that he'll eat.
    -He REFUSES to use the bathrooms. He is just recently potty trained (yay!) but he will not use the campground bathrooms. He had several accidents last weekend because he tried to hold it.
    We have found the sweetest campers who don't mind his challenges. One man brought him back to us after he tripped and scraped his hand while walking with his brothers to the bathrooms. He calmed my son down, even.

Trial and error, adjust and prepare. That's all we can do.

J Starsky and Crabbypatty like this.
  6. Crabbypatty

Crabbypatty New Member

Our son which is 9 and his 2 older brothers and Mom decided to camp over the Holiday weekend. My wife and I decided to watch what he would do if he wandered or ran outside alone in the morning.

On Sunday morning I heard the door to the camper and observed him sitting beside the fire pit watching the sun rise. We incorporated building a damn and catching aquatic life into the weekend.

We plan on going camping this Weekend and will let them swim and wear themselves out. A local park is also close to where we camp.

“Everyone adapts”

J Starsky and Queenof3Boys like this.
  7. FamilyMank

FamilyMank New Member

We have two autistic boys (and a strongly suspected autistic husband). We love camping! :) We just got back from our first weekend in our new to us pup! We used to tent camp until my joints got too bad. They loved it! We chose a site that was close to the office /store/bathhouse, the activities pavilion, and playground. They are 11 and 9, so we got to give them a little freedom, and it was awesome!

J Starsky and Crabbypatty like this.
  8. Crabbypatty

Crabbypatty New Member

My youngest son is 8 and has low functioning autism.

We just got back today from camping in Weiser State Forest.

After setting up the camper my wife that gave me an hour head start to get the pup up before they arrived on site. The kicker was his 2 older brothers aged 9 & 10 respectively gathered wood for the fire pit and helped with setting everything with me. We had enough time to walk a mile trail before relaxing by the fire with everyone in toe.

Saturday morning we had fruit and bagels for breakfast followed by a 5 mile hike. Took a break for lunch and then went swimming in a mountain stream until dinner. After dinner we went to a local block party. When we got back to camp everyone was pretty exhausted except for my Autistic son. I downloaded some chuggington from Netflix as a backup and a few movies.

Today we broke camp down with the same team attitude and it went smoothly.

I incorporated one thing from a previous post and used a bungee cord as an extra lock on the door.
    Another backup was 2 local parks for the children also if needed.

We usually camp at the same place every time but we switched it up this time.

J Starsky likes this.