Can I Remove Step?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by KampFish, Sep 12, 2018.

1. KampFish

KampFish New Member

Sep 12, 2018
    Can I remove the step next to the bed inside by pop up? Is it structural? I think it would give more floor space. Thanks! step - Copy.jpg

2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    I had electrical running in the rear step of my pup. The front step collapsed under my weight last year. . Fortunately nothing was in there lol. Probably need to peak inside and see .

3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    I have the same step. Always thought about putting a hinge on it and making it storage for fishing rods. Don’t know what’s in there.

4. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Mine has water lines in it for the Sholiet

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

Just guessing, but I would think that it serves several purposes. It may hide wiring and it may stabilize the area between the sink and the storage area it connects to.

kitphantom likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    On a Jayco the lift cables are inside. On our old Jayco we even made a bigger to help get into the bunks and stored our electrical cables, adapters, etc in it.
    So if yoy want to remove it ...look inside ...there may be something important inside or it just squares off the front panel angles.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Oh by the way
    awelcome.jpg
    Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline.

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We recently built one of these into our camper. [LOL] Just shows how everyone has different wants/needs. We hinged the top of ours for a shoe bin. Got the idea from someone on this forum. We needed it as a step, too, now I don't have to have a step stool there.

9. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Pilot hole. Have a look-see. Seal up if scary in there!

KampFish likes this.
  10. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010

Ballroom dancing ?

11. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I like steps. But that one is right where you'd have only one leg on it when using the sink. I'd definitely take it out and rebuild it to a smaller size if it actually needs to cover anything. Whatever is in there, I bet it doesn't need to be that big!

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I noticed that, too. Would not want it in front of my sink.

13. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Don't the crank cables run under that?

14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the West Virginia mountains,,, Don't know what's in the step, but welcome anyway

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome from N/W Fl, congrats on the NTU PUP. I would take a good look before ripping it out
    it might be important. Good Luck and Happy Camping

KampFish likes this.
  16. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    The wall behind it comes in at an angle. Removing it will give you surprisingly little if any additional floor space and make getting in and out of the bunk an bit harder. I am actually planning to add one for the rear bunk in our PUP, but I'm going to hinge the top for long item storage. Does it support the galley when folded?

KampFish likes this.