Can I replace my 5.30-12 wheels and tires with 175/80-13

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Solo camper, May 4, 2018.

1. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

Apr 23, 2018
    West virginia
    Have a 2002 Starcraft 1404 pop up with 5.30-12 tires, outside diameter 22 inches. Looking to replace with 175/80-13 with diameter of 24 inches. So will be realizing one inch bigger all the way around. I am doing this to get a tire rated for 81 mph vs 65 mph. Concerned as to weather tire could rub on severe bump.

2. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    You're not gonna drive that fast are ya?

3. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    I have 5.3-12s with an 81 mph rating, so it isn’t necessary to go bigger just to get that. But I understand you may be referring to what is local or relative prices, etc.

Look what kind of clearance you have around the tire. Most important is probably the clearance above the tire to the wheel well. If you can, get someone to bounce on the step or something to see how close it gets when compressed.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    As stated above , clearance will be your limiting factor. You should keep the clearance somewhere close to what you have with 5.30x12's. One inch doesn't sound like a lot, but when mounted on the camper, one inch makes a big difference.

5. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

Apr 23, 2018
    West virginia
    No, won’t drive 82 mph. But on cross country trip to Colorado I would like to do 70 mph speed limit or keep up with traffic which seems to move between 70-75 mph.

6. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

Apr 23, 2018
    West virginia

7. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

Apr 23, 2018
    West virginia
    I haven’t been able to find 5.30-12 with 81 mph rating. E trailer does not have them.

8. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

Apr 23, 2018
    West virginia
    If I get inTo clearance issues can I flip my axle over? It has spring seats welded to axle, can I turn axle 180, putting spring seats up and springs on spring seat above axle?

9. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    Does your camper have electric brakes? If not I hope that you don't have to stop that thing very quick at 70 mph.

durhamcamper likes this.
  10. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    I don't remember the metric equivalent to the 5.30-12 but you should look into that. I am sure it can be found on etrailer

11. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Never "flip" the axle. Most axles have an arch that must be pointed up. If you flip the axle 180 degrees, the arch is pointing down, and will cause all kinds of problems. You can do a spring over axle conversion. Etrailer has the kit that doesn't require welding. Although welding is highly recommended especially if your pup has brakes.

12. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

Apr 23, 2018
    West virginia
    I was thinking along those lines

13. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    If your axle does not have have camber or brakes there is no danger or harm to flipping it. Put a straight edge under it and look for an arch. Jack up the box before doing so as trailer weight flattens out the camber.

14. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    The Taskmaster tires from etrailer are rated at 81 mph. I’m running the bias ones on my pup. It isn’t necessarily in the description, but if you look closely at the photos, you can see it. Unless you need Load range D which isn’t available from Taskmaster, then you are stuck with the lower rating from the Kendas.

15. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

Apr 23, 2018
    West virginia
    Thanks for that info.

16. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    If the trailer does not have brakes, then it would be downright stupid and dangerous to drive over the usual 60 - 65 MPH which is the recommended maximum speed for trailering. Dangerous to everyone on the road. Also, nowhere in this post is any reference to maximum weight capacity of the 'higher speed' tire. I own a trailer with brakes, and even at 65 mph it can get 'hairy' if I need to stop suddenly to avoid an incident.

17. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I just put THESE on my pup and boat trailer today. They have a 81 MPH rating.

18. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Those are very strong statements, what do you base them on? I see trailers going well over 75 every single day of the week

19. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Here are just a couple of examples of what I base my post on........but you are correct about seeing people doing well over 75 as well. Just because we see it though, doesn't mean that it's safe to do so.

https://www.drivingtests.co.nz/road...ory/what-is-the-maximum-legal-speed-limit-fo/
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road Safety/Towing_Caravan.pdf

I could keep searching and find many other articles on-line however.....
    If you re-read my post, I stated that "if the trailer does not have brakes it's dangerous to do over 60 - 65 mph". Are you disagreeing with this statement? Are you suggesting that you can stop your vehicle safely and quickly with an additional 2000 - 3000 lbs pushing you down the road?
    You are correct when you say that my statements are strong though. I kind of put the safety of myself and others first .... hopefully the majority of others do as well.

20. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    In the first article I didn't see anything why towing over a certain speed is unsafe, in the second they were quoting speed limits in some country outside the US. I have no idea what anyone elses trailers weigh, what their tow rigs are, or their driving skills. I would not in a million years make blanket statements about what is safe or unsafe without knowing much more information. Last week I drove 200 miles towing a trailer without brakes with a 3/4 ton truck, I exceeded 75 mph a number of times as I have done for years. I have 6 trailers, 3 of them don't have brakes. I disagree with both of your statements and have no idea why you quoted my post to begin this dialogue. Perhaps you can't drive safely with a trailer over 60 but that doesn't mean that everyone else should not exceed that because of your limitations. This thread started out with a guy looking to upgrade his tires, you seem to want to use it as a sounding board to tell everyone how fast they should drive.