Can I tow my New to me Popup with my van?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by CheekyRunner, Mar 10, 2018.

1. CheekyRunner

CheekyRunner New Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Hi all! I have been trying with no luck, to understand tow weights and what my vehicle is able to handle. I'm just not getting it or maybe I am making it more complicated that what it really is.

Could someone please tell me if I can tow a 2300lb popup with a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan? The GAWR for the front is 2950 lb and 3100 for the rear.

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If you have the 3.6L V6 VVT you should have a 3600Lbs tow capacity. This should be fine. I know other member tow with the GC and will be along shorty to get you ready to go.

CheekyRunner likes this.
  3. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    should be just fine. youre tv has a tow rating of 3800 lb.

CheekyRunner likes this.
  4. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    just make sure the you have a brake controller. it will want to push you when you stop.

CheekyRunner likes this.
  5. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    3600lbs with 2 passengers and luggage. 3300lbs with 4 passengers and luggage, and 3000lbs with 6 passengers and luggage.
    The 2010 did not come with the new 3.6L. That engine was equipped in 2011. As long as you have the old 4.0L or the 3.8L and the 6-speed, the drivetrain will be fine. If you have the 3.3L, forget about it. If you have the factory tow package, even better. Factory tow package vans came equipped with Nivomat self-levelling rear suspension. This is nice because it reduces any sag/squat when you have the van loaded and the trailer hitched.

If you DON'T have the factory trailer tow package, there are options for you to deal with rear suspension sag. These Timbren DVRRT https://www.etrailer.com/susp-2012_Dodge_Grand+Caravan.htm and these Airbags https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Dodge/Grand+Caravan/2012/AL60814.html?vehicleid=20121065384 are great options.

Note that these do NOT increase the load capacity of your van, rather they just eliminate rear suspension sag and help you maintain a level ride.

As others have said, a brake controller is a must.

CheekyRunner likes this.
  6. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    CheekyRunner likes this.
  7. CheekyRunner

CheekyRunner New Member

Oct 19, 2017
    wow Thanks for the time you took to post this for me it is very much appreciated!

8. CheekyRunner

CheekyRunner New Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Thank you everyone for your reply's to my post. The people on this forum are awesome!

9. CheekyRunner

CheekyRunner New Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Thanks! Now to look up brake controllers....

10. jnc

Glad to Help. Happy Camping[PU][REDC][A][rly]:smiley:[REDC]

CheekyRunner likes this.
  11. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

Apr 12, 2017
    Manitoba
    Make sure you look for a proportional brake controller, rather than a time-based controller. They are a little more money, but worth the difference. Less than $100 should get you a decent proportional brake controller

jake19sauce, CheekyRunner and theseus like this.
  12. jnc

X2^

CheekyRunner likes this.
  13. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    X3^

CheekyRunner likes this.
  14. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    Towing with a 2012 Grand Caravan here. Our PUP is 1400 dry, 5 people + gear in the van. You will absolutely need something to beef up the rear suspension. We have the airbags installed in the rear springs, similar to what @GreatBigAbyss linked above and they work great. We have the kind that you pump up with a bicycle pump and they are easy to use. Tough to install if you have just your basic garage tools - took my DH and his dad, both pretty mechanical, 4 hours and lots of swearing to install. But worth it in the end!

CheekyRunner likes this.
  15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    To know for sure, take the VIN to your local Dodge dealer and have them run it. Thay can tell you the exact numbers for your exact vehicle. . Also use the trailers GVWR.

CheekyRunner likes this.
  16. CheekyRunner

CheekyRunner New Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Thanks!