Can My Car Tow A Popup Camper?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by stringpincher, Jun 26, 2010.

1. stringpincher

stringpincher New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Hi everyone, I,m new to this camping thing, and am thinking about buying a 1989, 10 foot Bonair popup trailer in good shape for $500.00.
    My question is this, can a 2000 Chev Cavailer with a 2.2 engine and 4 speed transmission pull this trailer, and is this a good deal.
    Thank you

2. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

Aug 25, 2009
    Bullhead CIty, AZ
    I think your are going to be hard pressed to find and small enough pop up to pull with a 2.2 liter engine. I know someone will come on that has more experience with that small of an engine. Good Luck.....AZ [8D]

3. stringpincher

stringpincher New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    I,ve got a '98 ranger with a 4 liter that I'm sure will pull it but it's rusty and the Cavailer is mint, so if possable.

4. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    I suggest you get the Ranger cleaned up and serviced. Besides being rated to tow, you'll have the bedspace for carrying stuff.
    I'd be surprised if the car had a tow rating at all.
    I've got a tranny cooler w/external filter and switched to synthetic oils throughout. The trailer brakes are all new this year - I suggest you get a trailer with brakes or plan on adding them.
    I am very comfortable towing with my truck.

5. tsc

tsc Member

Aug 20, 2008
    SW Ontario, Canada
    According to the owner's manual, it says says no if you have the 2.2L.

Page 4-34 and 4-41 (pages 208 and 215 on the pdf, respectfully from this link)

6. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Back in the early '80s we had an old PUP (tent top not hard top) that was an 8' box and it was towed with a family of 5 from Minnesota to Colorado by a VW Rabbit. Not saying I'd do that today just that it can be done. I don't think I would even consider towing anything more than a lawnmower with a cavalier much less a 10' box PUP.

7. stringpincher

stringpincher New Member

Jun 26, 2010
    O.K. Thanks everyone,
    So on my Ranger, should I install a hitch or would a ball in the bumper do?

8. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    I suggest the bolt on style frame mounted hitch. You can then use an adjustable ball mount (stinger) to level the Pup and the hitch becomes another crossmember for added strength and stiffness. The best price I found for my hitch was -
    surprise, surprise - the dealership. Same as the online prices but there was no shipping charge. [:D]

9. redjacket

redjacket In memory of Nick Dilal, Sr. 1931-2005

Apr 4, 2009
    Sorry, I don't think that will work. Good luck. I mean the cavalier, the Ranger will definitely work. That's what we use.

10. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    What won't work??? The car?

11. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Get a transmission cooler and Class III hitch on the truck. Get a 7-pin wiring system (which will allow you charge the trailer battery from the truck's alternator while driving) and which will allow you to use a brake controller for electric brakes on the trailer. If the trailer doesn't have electric brakes, get them. Also, be sure the trailer tires are pressurized to the correct amount stated on the sidewall of the tire. Think safety first. I agree with the others: that car can't handle a camping trailer.

12. zjrog

zjrog Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Tooele, UT
    I have no doubt the Cavalier could tow the trailer. Whether it can STOP the trailer, might be another story altogether. Err on the side of safety with this.

Believe me, I think my Neon could tow my Starcraft. Whether I could stop it is another story. I haven't even bothered to look for a hitch for it...

13. dupreet

dupreet New Member

Let me know if you get the Neon rigged up and are towing through central NC!! [:D]