Can you tow with a full water tank?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Dingit, Jun 12, 2018.

1. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Yes, we flush the tank. It doesn't require getting into the compartment though.

2. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Perhaps I should add to my comment above:

We flush the tank, but have yet to "sanitize" it as I cannot be around bleach. Perhaps if we actually drank the water from inside it would be an issue, but since we don't, we don't worry about it.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    This was a on-issue with our pups, since the "water tank" in each was a 5 gallon jug under the galley. We just continued to use our standard camping water jugs.
    Our TT has a 20 gallon fresh water tank, and we generally travel with it (& the water heater) full. We use the water on the road for lunch and potty stops. It also means I don't have to access campground water if I have an unexpected overnight stop. Most of the places we camp don't have water hookups in the campsites, and filling the tank directly from spigots in the campground is generally not possible. More and more are prohibiting connecting hoses, to prevent contamination of the system. Location of the spigots is another reason it's not handy to fill from them, even if allowed.

4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Empty every time we come home. Flush with bleach water once a year. And yes we drink from the tank water and have been drinking from our fresh water tank for 30+ years.

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Every campground we've been to has a water fill station. You have to bring your own hose, which we always have with the camper for this reason and also for the rare cases we have water hook-up.

PointyCamper likes this.
  6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I have camped several places that didn't have water available at all...Electric, but no water.

kitphantom likes this.
  7. tfischer

That's exactly what we do, except we do bring along a drinking water cooler which for weekend trips lasts us the weekend. We do use the water for teeth-brushing, coffee, and dishes however.

8. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I always carry water which is why I asked.

I always keep my tank full so I don't have to drink out of the toilet after the Big One.

bearman512, MaeKay and tfischer like this.
  9. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Jul 3, 2008
    Iowa
    Our starcraft has the tank mounted under the floor, the bottom of the tank rests on the top of the axle when i lifted the pup for more ground clearance, i had to fabricate a spacer that sits on top of the axle and supports the middle of the tank.

10. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    That is exactly how mine is as well...

11. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    Mine's mounted under right behind the rear axle. Never understood the engineering behind having all that weight behind the axle, but even towing with it full it's not an issue so guess the engineers were smarter than I! My support bracket is starting to bow a little so I tow with it full less frequently now, I should probably add installation a new bracket to my to-do list before I have a roadsite meltdown.... that midwest rust is hard on a 20 year old trailer...

I sanitize once a year and drain after each outing. I bring bottled water for drinking, but it is handy for dishes and for bathing a dog who got into too much mud :)

12. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    8F8D52A3-B06E-443B-B19E-56136BB945AB.jpeg
    03 Skamper. empty at the moment. not using it till i can replace/repair the hose from tank to sink. its kinked, no suction from the new fump. im using a dispenser (laundry detergent) jug for hand washing water, for now.

5BFF6603-7D4B-475F-A251-7F89890BB64F.jpeg

13. BaysideJim

BaysideJim Member

May 5, 2015
    Denver, Colorado
    No need to rinse after using bleach to clean/sanitize/disinfect the tanks or water lines... Bleach can be safely consumed in very diluted level like yo would have after cleaning and draining then refilling the tank

MaeKay likes this.
  14. tfischer

I've always read that you should flush it until you stop smelling the bleach. This is what we do.

15. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    I suppose 1 cup bleach to roughly 416 cups water (26 gallons) is probably safe.

16. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    You are correct.

I flush it once just to get rid of the smell, and I don't want to use the "water freshener" stuff they sell. (It's an additive to remove the bleach smell, but a full flush usually takes care of that.)

17. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    And very much overkill.

Rule of thumb is 1/4 teaspoon for each gallon. For 26 gallons, that would be 6 1/2 teaspoons, or just over 1/8 cup.

MaeKay likes this.
  18. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I only change water between trips if it tastes too much like plastic. Yeah, I taste it before I go. Even though we don't usually drink it straight, we'll use it for coffee, cooking, etc.

I don't worry about microorganisms since I fill at home from a treated municipal water source. There's plenty of chlorine and chloramine and whatnot in my water and it doesn't contain giardia or other nasties. It's not a sterile environment, but it's good enough. If I'm filling from unknown sources (like on road trips), I'll probably do the bleach thing afterwards. My tank doesn't get any light except when I'm filling it so algae can't grow. I kind of like having it inside where it's protected and dark and I can monitor it before getting dressed. :)

19. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    Oh wow. I read 1/4 cup per 10 gallons. Good to know!

20. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Not a problem. I'm really not the "bleach patrol" LOL- I just looked it up prior to figuring out that I can't be around bleach in any quantity, when my partner wanted to put close to a capful of bleach in each of our 1 gallon water jugs. :eek:

MaeKay likes this.