Canvas Cleaning

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Birdfam, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Birdfam

Birdfam New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Cloquet, Minnesota
    My pop-up tent is a hybrid of canvas and vinyl. Vinyl on the top of the bunks and some trim, but everything else, including the interior is canvas. Has anyone used the Bass Pro Shops Mildew cleaner on their fabric canvas?

2. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    I've read good things but haven't used it. I'm gonna use oxiclean for vinyl and woolite for canvas

3. Tacoma641

Tacoma641 Member

Sep 12, 2014
    I just washed the outside of mine with Woolite. Looks brand new.

Horby likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    It depends on how bad the canvas is stained? Is it canvas , sunbrella or something else? Mine is a Coleman, sunbrella and vinal.

5. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    My zip down windows are canvas and everything else vinyl. I have a Forest River Rockwood

6. Overland

Overland Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    My project has a replacement canvas that had been stored a few years under a leaking road cover. I plan to make a frame of some sort out of lumber and drape it over.. hit it with my small pressure washer.

I know it has some rust staining, but I want to make sure it's free of any mold. I'll have to read up Woolite, or another product that might be better. Hoping I don't have to buy another replacement this season..

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    For the heavy staines I used a bleach solution with dawn, took out all the mold and dirt. Pressure washing will separate the fibers. It will not last too long after that. People say the same with bleach, but it's listed in the sumbrella , the manafaturer , as a way to clean it.

8. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    So got done yesterday really detailing my pup and woolite didn't work on my canvas. That being said, the amount of canvas I have only consists of 4 zip down windows on both sides of the bunk ends. They fold down into the pup and need to know how to clean them without getting the inside wet or any soaps or cleaners inside. On the outside they are protected by a mesh screen and i can't get enough elbow grease from the outside. Any ideas are appreciated.

9. Duane Davis

Duane Davis New Member

Aug 13, 2018
    Leave the bunk ends in and prop the canvas ends up with 8foot long 2x4’s. 2 per side. That will hold it “out” so you can clean it and let all the water run to the ground.

10. GuardMedic

GuardMedic Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Aiken, SC
    20180808_134911.jpg
    20180810_152937.jpg
    I used Zep Mold and Mildew Remover from Lowe's. I also pushed the bunk ends in and propped the canvas up with 2x4s. Just be sure to rinse the canvas well. Worked wonders on my canvas as you can see!

Duane Davis likes this.
  11. Camp Pineapple Gal

Camp Pineapple Gal New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Looks great! How did you rinse? With just a bucket of clean water and a new sponge?

12. Duane Davis

Duane Davis New Member

Aug 13, 2018
    Use a hose with no nozzle on it.

Camp Pineapple Gal likes this.
  13. GuardMedic

GuardMedic Member

Aug 4, 2018
    Aiken, SC
    Yes. I used a sponge to make sure I got all of the cleaning solution off of the canvas and then rinsed it really good. For the middle section, I sprayed the solution on really good and used a lot of clean wet rags to wipe the solution off. Hope that helps.

Camp Pineapple Gal likes this.