Canvas repair and maintenance

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by drglinski, Aug 28, 2017.

1. drglinski

drglinski New Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Forgive me if this has been asked 1,000,000 times. I did a search but wanted to add the questions together.

On one of my fabric windows my finger went through it the other day. Obviously need a patch- what's the best way to tackle this?

On the topic of canvas- most of it is vinyl and I've bought it used (it's a '99) What do I need to do to recondition the canvas at this point assuming it's never been done by the PO?

Thanks

2. HernandezHome

HernandezHome New Member

Sep 22, 2017
    303 Protectant, I have only ordered it online or Protect All from Walmart for Vinly

3. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

May 23, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    Agree with 303.

We bought an old (1983 Viking) pup some years back that had several holes and tears in the screening material (I believe that's what your asking about) so I went to a local hardware store and bought some flexiable (not metal) screening and some clear silicone (called plumbers goop, but brand isn't important) I cut patches to be about and inch bigger than the holes and then coated the patching screen with the silicone. I had my wife take a hard flat surface (like a book) and wrap it with wax paper. She was inside the pup holding the wax paper covered book over the hole. I would lay the patch over the hole and then use a plastic spatula to flatten the patch to the window. Remove the wax paper and let it dry. Flexible and lasted for years.

HernandezHome and JPBar like this.