Cargo carrier. Tongue mount vs dual hitch

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Mrp305, Apr 16, 2018 at 7:35 AM.

1. Mrp305

Mrp305 New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Hello there, this is my first post to the group, so thank you in advance for all the great info and ideas out there. I’ve got a ‘03 Taos that we just started camping with. I am looking at adding a HF hitch carrier to give us a little additional storage and was looking for any feedback on either ubolting it to the tongue vs adding a double hitch to my 4Runner and and attaching it to that. The bolt option requires relocating my regulator, but that seems like just drilling out the rivets and remounting. Anyone have experience or thoughts on this?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Problem with many of the extenders and dual mounts out there is they cut the tow and tongue ratings by as much as 50%.

3. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    HF just had that carrier on sale I believe for $39.99. You can get a RV BUMPER HITCH and mount it to the bumper. I was wondering how the weight of the carrier on the bumper would affect the tongue weight and such.

p.s. Have you thought above a roof rack?

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    As already mentioned, those double hitches usually drop ratings by 50%. The back bumpers aren't hefty enough to attach a hitch, without adding support - and the load there can cause sway.
    We used a roof top cargo box for years, tenting through 2 popups and into the TT days. We've had two, and used them on two Outbacks and the 4Runner. It was handy to be able to carry extra Coleman fuel there for our camp stove, and not have it in the vehicle with us. With our tiny first pup (6' box), that extra space was as necessary as when tent camping. It made for handy attic space, what we packed it it varied a little depending on the type and length of trip. We're hikers, and my husband often backpacks while I base camp, so all those supplies have to go along, besides campsite ones.
    We can't use either Thule on the truck, I still miss having out of the way storage on some trips.

5. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Like you said, without support that would be too much weight. You could put a wheel on it, but I had thought about putting bumper wheels on my bumper to keep my camper from dragging while going into my drive but was told they could bend the axle.

I've got a rack on my camper and really don't know how to use it or what to put up there. I've got my folding chairs, camp kitchen and will have a folding table for outside. Do you fasten those with cargo straps or bungee straps? Also, I thought to lay a tarp then fold it over the stuff to hold it together. I don't want the wind to get under all of it and blow it off.

6. Mrp305

Mrp305 New Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Thank you. This is true, but I was thinking that I might be able to work through that with the 4Runner’s 5000 lb tow limit. The Taos is also pretty light. We have roof racks on the camper and use it to fork mount the bikes. There is also the roof of the truck, but we use it for kayaks. I still struggle with all those tongue weight calculations. I guess it sounds like u bolts to the tongue may be the best option?

7. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    California
    How about a front hitch on your TV? Also offsets some of the tongue weight on the rear....

Adam

8. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    If you try to mount it to the tongue, be sure to test out the turning radius slowly with a spotter. It may hit the bumper of your TV on tight turns.

Another option may be longer crossbars for either roof rack. Then maybe you could fit one of the narrow roof boxes plus the bikes or kayaks.