Carrying bag for 50 W panel

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Jeff55, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Jeff55

Jeff55 New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    I just purchased a 50 W panel and was trying to find someway to Store in a bag or hard case while transporting. Can't seem to find any that's at a reasonable price. Has anyone any ideas?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    What type and dimensions? Does it fold or break into segments? where do you want to transport it?
    Our first set of solar panels were Goal Zero Boulder 15s, so they were actually 4 separate panels, which clipped together for use. Those have always been carried in one of the bench storage spaces, with that rubberized shelf liner between panels. (They are still back-up panels, so are kept in an out-of-the way space under one of our dinette benches.)
    The Zamp 160 we now use is a suitcase style, so it folds in half, and has a case for travel. We generally carry it on the bed in the TT (if we're going directly to the site where we'll set it up), or on the back seat in the truck, if there are intermediate stops. (e.g. next month, I won't need it for 5 nights on the road, until I get to visiting family in Ohio)
    Depending on the size and where you want to carry it, I'd suggest just wrapping it with something like the shelf liner, or even a blanket, moving pad, or the like. You could use straps to hold it in place.

3. Jeff55

Jeff55 New Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Renogy 25" x 22" Single panel
    Just looking to be able to put it in something when not in use. Most likely will haul it in the pup

4. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Go to you local fabric store and get some marine vinyl and a Speedy Stitcher. You could make your own simple slipcover for it in an hour.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Since I have sewing machines, if I was going to make a carrying case, I'd probably use packloth or the like. OTOH, for ease and/or a quick solution, something padded (shelf liner, old blanket, moving blanket) and a couple of webbing straps would work.
    The case for our Zamp is sort of like pack cloth with a firm backing fused to it, to give it shape and some extra protection.