1. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Yesterday my oldest ds was rummaging around in my mom's garage. Sitting on top of one of her cabinets was a set of 3 cast iron frying pans. If I am not mistaken they were my grandmother's. Now mind you these pans are old. My mom is 90 yo and my grandmother has been gone since 1984. The pans have gotten rusty but he is hoping to save them (he is a pastry chef and loves using his cast iron). Any advice on how to clean them would be greatly appreciated. I will post a picture when I get a chance. Thanks in advance.

2. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Member

Some coarse salt and some moisture with a cloth should do it. Then season them, people argue over the best method, I just rub in some vegetable oil. Others put a film of shortening in the pans and heat in the oven at at a high temp for 20 minutes or so.

3. Jess n JJ Julian

Jess n JJ Julian Member

Sos pads are what we used when I was a kid. It should remove the rust. Make sure to coat with some oil after its clean and dry, drying it on the stove with some low heat. Happy cooking!

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have some that belonged to my Great GM and I still use then, Once cleaned and greased just make sure to keep them greased after use. Never use a dish washer and never let soapy water. I just give mine a quick wipe with a paper towel after use wipe a film of grease inside and the pan is ready for the next use.

5. kgesiako

kgesiako Member

There’s a guy on YouTube cowboy Kent Rollins I found while researching seasoning my cast iron. He has great tips and fun to watch, and has a whole segment on rusty cast iron

jmkay1 and LucythePUP like this.
  6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

kgesiako likes this.
  8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Google how to restore cast iron pans. There is some type of bath that will clean. Then re season them.

Some of the old one are very good quality. 40-70 years they were trying to make the pans lighter. Much better

9. LucythePUP

LucythePUP New Member

This. I just subscribed to his page a few weeks ago, great videos. He has a playlist for several of his cast iron videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQHi7MO6wVAr0SSCwdIYt1jr2Au9MFFnZ

kgesiako likes this.
  10. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Thanks everybody! He knew about the salt (he is getting some today to get started on them) but I just wanted to check to see if there were other methods also. Here are a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Thats not bad at all, you will get off the rust and they will be good as new. Shoot a picture of the backside of the pan. There should be a makers mark there.

12. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Looks like only light surface rust and no pitting. Should clean up nice. Are there makers marks on the bottoms?

13. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I recently cleaned up some that looked like that....I put them in our self-cleaning oven & let them go thru a cleaning cycle, got rid of 90% of the rust then a little salt, elbow grease & scrubber pad took care of the rest. Season with the cooking type oil of your choice, & good to go.