cast iron and critters

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by tdiller, Dec 5, 2018.

1. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Just some thinking. If you have cast iron cookware and it is seasoned with oil would that not be an attractant to mice and other critters? I am looking at buying a blackstone griddle and am concerned about attracting mice.

2. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Plymouth, MI USA
    Seasoned cast iron doesn't have to have any remaining oil on it at all, because the seasoning process polymerizes it. I know a lot of people simply add oil and store, but that’s not seasoning. It’s not seasoned until heated. So, just complete your seasoning with proper heating, wipe completely dry, and you’re good to go.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I have a cast iron pan I keep in the camper and no critters other than spiders . Like mentioned above make sure it is seasoned well, and fully dry before storage.

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I have a couple iron cast pots n pans and still have no problem with critters or whatever you are thinking of.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have used cast iron for many years and have never had any problem with varmints, besides if the do mess with it they can do no harm as they cannot eat the cast iron.

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Unless you add vegetable oil and heated the iron cast products, there is a critter called "Rust" and it will eat your iron cast products.

Byrd_Huntr and Katskamper like this.
  7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

We have 6 pie irons that have lived in a plastic bucket for 10 years in a shed that has mice living in it and porcupines living under it. There is never any evidence of them in the bucket.

8. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    We don't store our cast iron skillets, dutch ovens, etc in our pup during the off season. We do have a couple of pie irons that we keep under a dinette seat, no issues in the three years we've owned our pup.